iTunes folder organizing Q&A

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petersays, Dec 19, 2007.

1. petersays macrumors member

Is there any way of changing how iTunes orgainzes the iTunes Music-folder?

For example, I would really love to have the year infront of the album title.

And in the best of worlds i would want the genres first, then artist then year/album

e.g.

iTunes Music
    -Pop
    --Hot Chip
    --- 2004 Coming On Strong
    --- 2008 Made In the Dark
    -Rock
    --Fleetwood Mac
    --- 1975 Fleetwood Mac
    --- 1977 Rumours
    --The Nerves
    --Thin Lizzy
    -Techno
    -- Ada
    --- 2005 Blondie
    -- Booka Shade
    --- 2006 Movements

Etc etc.

Of course i COULD name the albums with the year first but that would make the sorting in iTunes to messy methinks. There shold be some script available, no?

Cheers,
    Peter

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

first thing you'll have to do is tell itunes not to auto-organize your music.
    then you can go ahead and organize it the way you want, i believe. although you might have to re-add it if its renamed and iTunes can't find it...

but i still don't get why people feel the need to go dig around in the folders? :confused:

3. petersays thread starter macrumors member

Thing is i used to organize the files on my own but there are pros and cons to letting iTunes organize, and there really shouldn't be a problem for making this feature function - should there be a request for it.

I like iTunes way of importing and sorting. Just Drag & Drop. Tho it's nice haveing things automatically ordered, i'm not keen on the folder structure.

I limit myself to using 14 different genres and i have smart playlists for each of them, and one for every file that does not belong to any of the 14 genres - so i know i have to tag them.

For me im pretty used to browsing through my folders for tracks when i choose what records to play at clubs, and..erm..easier for others to browse my files aswell. :eek:

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Even after reading your reason, I still can't figure out why it matters how iTunes stores the files. What is the problem you are trying to solve and maybe we can help with another solution?

5. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

Just plug the year into the proper field. iTunes has a "sort album by year" option.

6. petersays thread starter macrumors member

Primary reason. I want it to be easy for my friends on Soulseek to browse my music.

Plus im more used to that myself too. Browsing in finder, rather than iTunes when selecting tracks for my DJ-sets.

7. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I see, so the reason is to "share" your music with others via Soulseek? If that is the case, I can be of no help since I do not endorse that at all.

8. macribas macrumors member

macribas

To later burn MP3 CDs for a car...

...and have the folders organized by album year instead of album title.

That's my main problem.

Thanks
    Marcel