iTunes folder question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mguti, May 21, 2013.

1. mguti macrumors member

I purchased a MacBook Air a couple nights ago. I am wanting to redirect the folder that iTunes makes on the hard drive, I want to put that folder on my external hard drive. How can I do that? I do realize that every time I download music my external hard drive would need to be plugged in. Im fine with that. I've tried playing around with it but have had no luck. Any help is appreciated.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

3. ayres macrumors regular

Worth mentioning that you can divide your library to different folders/locations... So, you don't have to connect your external hd every time you connect your iPhone, for example... Or keep your desert island music on the mba and the rest on an external

4. mguti thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. I did get to the preference then advance tab section. I did change the folder to the external hard drive. What was throwing me off was that I was trying to download some music that I have previous purchased from iTunes, and it was telling me something along the lines of, I didn't have permission to change the location. But when I changed the folder back to my hard drive it would allow me to download the music.