iTunes folders/library a mess...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Sep 14, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I recently transfered all of my iTunes files to my laptop from my external hard drive.

For some reason, the files that were copied over were doubled up... And now I have duplicates of every song I own, taking up lots of space on my hard disk.

I started manually deleting some of the duplicates, but it's taking way too long. I also deleted the wrong version of the songs (For some reason, my iTunes is using file names like: EXAMPLE 1.mp3 instead of EXAMPLE.mp3) Now before I proceed, and ruin the rest of my library, is there anything I can do???

Should I just delete all the extra files manually, erase the iTunes library, and then "ADD TO LIBRARY"? Or will this cause the same issue?

Also, some of the duplicates aren't reflected in my iTunes library. Their files are in the iTunes music folder, but they're not seen in the library.

Please help!

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

3. kalex macrumors 65816

onething to do later is to use itunes to move your songs around. u shouldn't migrate it manually. u can define new location in itunes and then choose consolidate library.

for now u can try idupe, or http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/ and look for duplicate remover script