iTunes for Dummies?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Statelymwhite, May 20, 2011.

1. Statelymwhite macrumors regular

I am apparently the world's biggest idiot, because I just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of how iTunes handles putting music onto iPhones/iPods.

Say I have an mp3 downloaded from Amazon. It's on my iMac. I want that song on my iPhone. I don't want to sync all my music. I don't want to make a big production of it. I just want the little mp3 on my iPhone. Ideally, I'd like to right-click and have the option to "...add to iPhone". But no such option seems to exist.

Is there an obvious and easy way to do this that I'm somehow missing? Or are my fears correct that I need to move the heavens and Earth to get music onto my phone?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Right. You cannot do this.

Use the "Sync only selected music" option (or whatever it is) in iTunes. You have to use iTunes.

3. Statelymwhite thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That was my fear. I have to sync only selected, but if I only select the one song I want to add, it will erase everything else.

iTunes should default to assuming I want to keep what's already on my phone and give me the option to just add new things.

As it is now, even if I just want to add one song, I have to take inventory of my entire library.

Thanks for the reply.