iTunes for managing media

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Barena, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Barena macrumors newbie

I have 3TB of media that I had spent the last few months converting to iTunes friendly format and had just been playing it from a MacBook to an AppleTV. I just bought a Mac Mini with the intention of using it as an iTunes server connected directly to the TV.

However, iTunes looks terrible on a 40" screen. The resolution is fine, but the artwork for movies, tv shows and albums is so small that it is very annoying to navigate. Currently I can see 12 tv shows being displayed per row and 11 movies per row.

Is there anyway to get around the inability to increase the artwork in iTunes? Or should I just switch to Plex/XBMC?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Assuming the quality of the fils us HD 1080p, then I'd use Air a Video Server. I have it on my IPad, phone and macs and it stress all content to either TV with no loss of quality in picture or sound.

My setup differs a little from yours...I use a Pegasus R4 for the media, and that's connected to my iMac...from there it all streams to ATV units in lounge snd bedroom.

3. Barena thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, however I'd prefer if possible to just watch the media on the Mini through the tv.

4. BuddyRich macrumors member

Install XBMC for OSX.

It'll play MP4, etc just fine and you can still use itunes to manage the media itself.

This assumes that you have the MacMini hooked up to the TV directly via HDMI or the link.

If you are streaming to the TV via the AppleTV, you are stuck with homesharing or an app that airplays (AirVideo) or Plex with a bit of a hack to use the movie trailer app.

5. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Can you install..or use...Apple's Front Row, if it's all iTunes?

6. Barena thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I go the Plex/XBMC route, is there anyway I can make this more legible and easier to make out the icons on a 40" tv while sitting on a couch:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure to be honest as I'm relatively new to Macs - is it easy to do so?

7. Idgit, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

I have iTunes 10.7 installed on my Mac Mini. iTunes 10 has a slider that enlarges/shrinks the cover art when viewing your Movie and TV libraries in grid mode.

It appears that Apple removed that slider and grid mode from iTunes 11. Why would they do that? I dunno. However, you can get the slider back (sort of) if you put your movie/tv library in List mode. The open "Show View options", enable "Show Artwork" and drag the slider over to the right. Unfortunately, you can't get the artwork as big as was possible in iTunes 10.

8. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

It's a program that used to be built in, that did EXACTLY what you want...was designed for a mini attached to the TV to be used with the apple remote.

Of course, they got rid of it to push the Apple TV.

I found a thread where people discuss it and get it to work...looks like from a quick skim, it's not "easy" the way it should be.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195183?start=330&tstart=0

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a 46 inch and it looks not like that at all. All my movie covers are huge and very easy readable. I'll have to play with it again to see how to make it big again.

10. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Wow, your right. I just went and looked and sure enough there is no slider anymore...wtf? Seems to be a big complaint right now.

11. Barena thread starter macrumors newbie

If you could let me know how you managed that it would be great! Thanks.

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I am looking now and I can't figure it out. I remember when I did it, iTunes would crash and then there was an update that fixed this crashing issue when you adjusted the size of the album art. I will keep looking though.

Edit: reading other posts looks like they removed the option to do this.

13. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Go the xbmc route. The amount if customization and options are amazing. Also, pick up an Apple remote. You can control xbmc via the apple remote. Pretty seamless experience. If you have questions or need help shoot me a PM. You can also have plex server running in the background to push your media to your devices and rokus etc. throughout the house.