iTunes for Windows is getting obnoxious...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wolfpup, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Okay, this is starting to really bother me.

For ages now, installing iTunes/Quicktime loads part of quicktime at startup (easily disabled) part of iTunes at startup (I always leave it there, not sure if it's needed or not).

More recently it also installs "Apple Mobile Device Support" as a service-apparently only needed for iPhone/Touch platform devices.

But now, on top of all that, it's installing Bonjour (with a warning the first time you launch iTunes if you uninstall it), AND Mobileme-and I can't even figure out how to get rid of that.

And that's on top of the Apple Software Update program trying to install Safari every time you run it (and Safari and some other software is including an outdated version of Zlib which is a security vulnerability).

I've been putting up with this a lot longer than some...but geez, this is getting nuts. They need to fold some of this junk into the main iTunes executable, and at least give you the option to not install the rest of it. I've never had trouble with Apple's Windows software, but still, this is turning *me* off, and I like Apple...

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Groupthink to the contrary, Apple isn't any different than any other hard/software corporation out there. The priority is to increase market share, not to design better products. Treat their bloatware the way you'd treat it from any other company--disable unnecessary items via msconfig. None of the Apple-related paraphenelia needs to start with the computer; uncheck their boxes and reclaim your computer.

3. ricartedor macrumors member

I've got to say that i'm still being asked to set up iTunes everytime i open it, this is correct for both my computer (vista 64bit) and my sister's (vista 32bit) no matter what i try it still asks me its 'few questions' to set it up EVERYTIME!! i hope apple fixes this!

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Bonjour is actually necessary if you plan on sharing libraries from other computers on your network so if at all you plan on using that I wouldn't disable/uninstall it.

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Yuck! Thankfully it doesn't do that to me in XP, though who knows if that's technically a Vista issue or an iTunes issue (probably the latter).