iTunes 'forgets' custom genres.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dazed, Jul 26, 2014.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

Have a weird issues with itunes. I have a genre called superhero and have put over 30 movie titles in there that I've ripped from my collection as well as those I've bought from the iTunes Store.

When I reboot my machine, the ones I've bought revert back to their original genre (action & adventure) on the Apple TV but the ripped ones stay in the superhero genre.

Selecting info on these bought titles shows the genre is still set as superhero but for some reason itunes ignores this and puts them back in their original category.

Anyone else experience this? It's very annoying and I don't want to have to right click->info each one so it refreshes where it belongs.

Thanks

2. rayward macrumors 68000

FYI, you can select all the misbehaving movies at once and right click to get them back in line in one go.

As regards the underlying problem, I suspect it is because the superhero tag in the movies you've ripped is embedded in the movies' metadata. The tag on the iTunes Store-bought movies is an overlying entry in iTunes only, and I suspect that iTunes reverts to the original tag after a restart before you force it to remember the update you made.

I have no idea if you can get under the hood of your iTunes Store-bought movies and change the embedded tag (with tagging software like Subler), but I fear that's the only way to fix your issue.

3. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

It also happens on purchased digital copies that are tagged with Subler. The only way I've found to revert them to my tagging is selecting the first one in a group, hit Get Info, and walk through each one with the next/previous buttons.

It's a pain, but what can you do? # I still have to go through a bunch of old encodes, and change them from Home Movies back to just plain Movies.

4. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

5. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

iTunes menu > Preferences... > Store > Untick this checkbox.

[​IMG]

6. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

Is this the "fix", or is it just something to try?

7. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this. I note that a lot of the metadata changes you make in iTunes don't actually seem to get written to the appropriate tag sections of the media file, unlike iDentify, Subler, or MetaX/MetaZ do.

8. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

I think it's a fix. I vaguely remember having a similar problem with music genres, and I think this is what fixed it. There was another thread about it here, I seem to recall.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Very interesting. I don't have the OP's problem, and I have always left that preference un-checked.

10. roland.g, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

This seems to work for me. Will keep an eye out and see if it reverts or if this 'fix' causes any other issues.

Also, I'm still running 10.9 on my main iMac which is my iTunes media server and so I'm also running iTunes 11.4. I've only upgraded my Air to 10.10 and iTunes 12 but my Air has little to no media content save for a small collection of 4 or 5 movies for travel.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My genres reverted back after updating to iTunes 12 though that box is not checked. Not sure what did it then. I fixed them manually again. I'm curious if it will continue to revert.