iTunes freezes when adding new music

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Sparklebuns, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Sparklebuns macrumors newbie

I have the latest version of iTunes on OSX 10.10.4
    I keep my music library on an external hard drive, and have had no issues up until now.
    The drive is in tip top working condition and has plenty of space.

Sometimes when trying to add a new album, it will allow me to drag and drop, or use the add to library function, then it beach balls me, and I have to force quit.
    Other times, it will look as if its allowing me to drag and drop, and then nothing happens, and if I choose a song through add to library, nothing happens. If I try to double click on the song, which should add the song to itunes and start playing it, that doesn't work either.

I am able to add music directly to the hard drive, and if I disable the drive, I am able to add music to iTunes and it puts it into the itunes folder inside the music folder on my harddrive.

This only started happening since I updated to the latest itunes version.

Anyone have this issue, or know how to resolve? I have way too much music to have to keep it on my boot drive.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I've seen iTunes choke on 500 tracks, but not 15.
    Have you tried quitting iTunes, then dragging the files into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder located at /Users/yourname/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media ? Start iTunes back up, and it should import.
    That used to work well, but I haven't used it in a few years.