iTunes freezes when I plug in iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheekybobcat, Jul 20, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I want to update my iPod to 2.0 but every time I connect it to my computer via USB, iTunes doesn't respond and I have to Force Quit. I have tried it about 10 times and it freezes every time...

Any suggestions?

2. wxboss67 macrumors newbie

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's a known problem with both the Mac and PC versions of iTunes 7.7. It froze from the moment I updated my sister's computer to 7.7, my iMac didn't freeze at first but now it does...however, on both computers if I just left it plugged in it does end up getting recognised and syncs after a few minutes. Hopefully they'll fix this problem in an update.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

My brother is having this same problem too - It's rather frustrating

5. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I have repaired permissions and rebooted but no luck.

iTunes recognizes my iPod as soon as I connect it but the "beach ball of death" comes up and never leaves...iTunes freezes almost instantly when I plug it in.

6. slowpoketx macrumors newbie

After I installed 7.7, I tried connecting my iPod but got the spinning ball and an unresponsive iTunes. When I'd force quit iTunes, it would recognize my iPod for a brief moment before closing down the application and give some error message. I tried connecting it again and just let the ball spin and spin. Finally after 8 minutes or so (I timed it) iTunes recognized my iPod. Every time I connect now, I've got to wait 8 minutes for it to show up in iTunes :mad:

7. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

UGH! Apple...I have one thing to say...

UPDTAE ITUNES IMMEDIATELY!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Edit: I just connected my iPod and I am going to let it sit for a while. Hopefully iTunes will stop spinning that ball and start updating my iPod!

Edit 2.0: About a minute after I posted my first edit, iTunes stopped freezing and now I can update my iPod! YAY!

P.S. Still pissed that it takes a good minute or so to render iTunes usable with my iPod.

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Yeah, even though you got it to work, the problem is that you had to.

This happened to my girlfriend when she updated iTunes. She had a bunch of music on her iPod, but not on her iTunes.

It wiped her iPod clean, and she lost 33GB of her 40GB of music.

9. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Ouch.

That's why I use TimeMachine! haha.

Just to update... iTunes still freezes but now for an undisclosed amount of time. It was for just a minute or two but now its a minute, 5 minutes, 10... The longest I've waited is about 17 minutes. I'm very frustrated but hopefully with the 50 or so error reports I've sent to Apple will help show them that something is wrong.

10. corvus macrumors member

corvus

iTunes freezes when I plug in iPod (Fixed on iTune 7.7.1)

It's fixed on 7.7.1.

When I was having the problem, it dawned on me, "This is a funky delay while the iPod syncs. It's bad, but not a show stopper. Just wait, Corvus. Be patient. When syncing is done, the machine will come back to normal. And Apple will fix it soon."

Wow! I'm a prophet. But, then, Apple always fixes its issues.

11. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Actually, if you read my post it wiped stuff ON HER IPOD. Unless you've found a way to dock your iPod Touch using TimeMachine, it wouldn't have done anything.

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Obviously your girlfriend had it to manually manage her music, which means it wouldn't be a problem with iTunes as it saves the setting to the iPod. Something must have happened with the iPod.

13. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

She did, but nontheless, look at the facts:

Before she updated, she plugged her iPod in several times a day.

After she updated, the first time she plugs it in it wipes her iPod.

The iPod's software and settings didn't change. Therefore, it was obviously related to iTunes.