iTunes freezing during launch and MP3 playback; Now causing system to lag behind

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gumbyx84, Jul 16, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Before anyone says anything: Yes, I did do my research with MRGoogle before creating this thread. Most of the questions people had ever never answered (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=791337) or the posts where from 2+ years ago and not that relevant to the newer releases of iTunes.

Anyway, I decided to do a bit of song searching on iTunes today. I have a bunch of songs from the DDR series that I wanted to find the original, full versions of. So I opened up iTunes (which took about 30 seconds to load, mouse cursor pinwheeling the entire time) and opened up a playlist of said songs in a separate window. In the main window I opened up the iTunes store and started my search. To pass the time, I played the playlist in the background while switch between the two windows to check song tiles, artist names, and the like. While searching for songs, iTunes would randomly start pinwheeling for ~5 seconds, music still playing in the background. The same thing happened when I tired to change to a different song in the playlist. I tried to open TextEdit so I could copy down the songs I couldn't find in the iTunes store and the system pinwheeled yet again. It 5+ seconds to open TextEdit. Even when I'm running Firefox with multiple tabs and windows open, it opens instantly.

I know my machine is a bit old (Early 2008 MBP 2.4 C2D) but its not ancient. I'm running 4GB for crying out loud. I've had similar issues in the past that got so bad I stopped using iTunes all together for awhile. I've tried installing iTunes, uninstalling iTunes, even going so far as to remove most of the iTunes-related fumes from my Library. Nothing seems to help.

I'm at a loss to why this is happening. Originally I thought it was a corrupt library or something, but I've rebuilt my library and it was a temporary fix. Anyone here have ideas about what I can do?

2. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Am I really the only one with this issue or does no one care to help?

Sorry but I have seen every thread after mine gotten answered. All the questions I've posted this weekend here have been ignored, so color me a bit annoyed.