iTunes - Fresh music copy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Krafty, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I have a feeling that I have a lot of duplicates because my iTunes library shows 78GB while my music folder shows 128GB.

Is there a way to have iTunes copy all the music in the library to a location so its all organized and I can just delete the old set?

I'm not sure what songs are in folders and what songs are linked.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

You have a "feeling" ?
    Cant you look in the music folder and actually see what other than iTunes is consuming space?
    For example, if I look in mine there are two folders, one of which is iTunes. What does yours show?
    You can also use iTunes to search out duplicates.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

4. Krafty, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Heh. Thats for the clarification - moving on.

It's because when I moved my music over from Leopard to SL, they were in various folders, so when I did a fresh install of SL, iTunes was set to organize it, as on Leopard I didn't have it that way.

So in the folder is a bunch of folders by date, and then the iTunes folder, but with that size difference yes, there is a great feeling that something may be a little odd with the amount of duplicates located in said folder.

Also, I need to remove them from the folder, but I'm not sure which ones, so removing them from iTunes will only remove them from iTunes (I've tried this already).
    Thank you, sir.

EDIT: I think I figured it out - I'm using the iTunes "consolidate files" option to copy all the files to the Media folder thats not already there - then I can just delete the remaining folders outside the media folder.

Thanks for the responses.