Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinW

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Sorry if this is a common question, but I'm very curious...

So, I have an iMac with my main iTunes music and movie collection as a primary media device. I'd like to keep my Macbook Pro free of all media, as I use it for business and school, so I went out and bought a Western Digital Passport to transfer all my iTunes from my iMac to it as an external media device for my MBP.
When I hook it up and open iTunes, it automatically finds the movies, but not the songs on the WD Passport.
What am I doing wrong? Is there any possible way to simply plug in the external hard drive and have my songs pop up as if they were simply a part of the computer?
Again, sorry if this has been asked/is a stupid question. I'm just curious.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What am I doing wrong? Is there any possible way to simply plug in the external hard drive and have my songs pop up as if they were simply a part of the computer?

Who knows what you did wrong, but my gues is that you copied the music files over but not the entire iTunes Library folder. You need to copy the entire folder then delete it from the system drive. iTunes will ask "where it it?" next take you start it up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.