iTunes from Mac ext HD to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cosmicap, May 26, 2010.

1. cosmicap macrumors newbie

I have tried searching for this and have not found it. Most people seem to migrate PC to Mac but I'm going the other way. I'd love a MacBook but had to settle for a Windaz machine (7). All my iTunes music has been transferred to an external HD to save space on my creaky and bloated 2004 G5 iMac. I now want to transfer all my itunes music to the PC. Help please.:confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. Make sure the HD is formatted in a way both Mac OS X and Windows can understand: FAT32 is usually the best choice.
    2. You copied the entire library: iTunes folder, all data files within, and all music in the iTunes Music folder within, right? If not, I highly recommend it.
    3. Copy all the files from the external to the appropriate Windows folder (for WinXP, this is My Music, inside My Documents; for Vista and 7 it's Music, inside your user folder).
    4. Open iTunes for Windows. It will find your Mac library and convert it seamlessly.
    5. There is no step 5 - you're done!

3. cosmicap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that. However, I think I'm stumped because the laptop installs the new hardware OK (the ext HD) but does not actually recognise it. I guess that when I got the drive for backup and storage I did not format it for PC. Didn't think to! Bugger......:(