itunes from old computer to new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fishballer, Mar 14, 2009.

1. fishballer macrumors member

i tried to do the itunes backup method, but i don't have a dvd burner on my old computer, so that's not gonna work.

any step by step instructions?

thanks.

booboo

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Will a FireWire to FireWire transfer with Migration Assistant work?

3. fishballer thread starter macrumors member

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

5. fishballer thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i have an external hd.

i could copy the songs over and add it to a new instance of itunes, i suppose, but what about the apps for my iphone? i was also hoping to preserve the "date added" and "times played" for the songs too.

serves me right for getting a new laptop. ugh.

6. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I think if you click "export library" it should also export all of the iPhone apps.

7. eatbacon macrumors regular

A little more information would probably help. Without it, I am assuming you are moving from an old mac to a new mac. In that case, just copy the whole iTunes folder from your Music folder to your external drive, and then to your Music folder on your new computer. You will keep all apps, music, date added, last played date, etc, etc, etc. Has the added bonus of keeping the library key the same so if you use an iPhone or iPod it will not complain about syncing to a new library. (I imagine all of the above holds true for a windows-> windows move, although I don't know the paths. Doubt it will work for a window->mac move or vice versa)

8. fishballer thread starter macrumors member

windows to windows, but good idea. i'll give that a shot. let's hope it works.

9. Garratt macrumors newbie

Well, did it?
    I'm trying to do a PC to Mac export in order to retain all my Date Added and Play Count, Album, Year info.

10. Garratt macrumors newbie

PC to Mac iTunes transfer

I guess I should elaborate. I recently retired my XP machine and upgraded to a Macbook Air. What I'm trying to do is move my iTunes library to the new Macbook.

What's important to me as I sort most of my music by date added, is obviously to retain that Date Added data. It would also be nice to have Play Count, Skip Count along with Album, Year, and Track #.

The second step woud be to copy all this to the local or internal drive on the new Macbook Air.

Is there a simple 'copy .xml' way to do this? or is it far more complicated than that?

ANY help is much appreciated.