iTunes Frustrating & Difficult to Use

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Scepticalscribe, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Scepticalscribe, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Is anyone else finding iTunes to be next to impossible to use these days?

I find it incredibly complicated, un-user-freindly (unlike what it used to be); for the past hour or so I have tried to register an Apple ID - and this is a perennial problem I have had in recent years - just so that I can connect my new iPod Touch to my iTunes Library and download the latter.

I don't want the Cloud, or downloads from Apple, I merely wish to be able to have my iTunes Library on my iPod - something that was a doddle a decade ago.

How, it keeps insisting that I repeat steps that I have already completed countless numbers of times, demanding ever more detailed contact details (which are none of their business). It keeps telling me that various things 'cannot be verified, while I cannot use my private email address "as it is already in use" (yes, it is: by me, but their system will not allow them to admit to this).

Is there an idiot-proof - and a fool proof way (and a pain-free way) of enabling my new iPod Touch to register with Apple - without having to repeat this endlessly - and connect easily with my (Apple MBA's) copious music library?

A separate - but possibly related - issue: Yesterday, while airborne, I realised that the entire music library of my iPod classic had been mysteriously wiped clean, as well, and iTunes does not recognise the iPod and nor is it able to read it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    Now, the stupid thing tells me that both of my email addresses are taken. This is infuriating.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

But you're trying to sign up for a new Apple ID? You should just sign in with your existing one.

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

S, I fully share your sentiment. I stopped using iTunes ages ago.
    Replaced it with Anytrans. Simple, intuitive, logical.

4. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, the reason is that it doesn't recognise my existing one.

Besides, I cannot count how many times I have been compelled to set up a new ID, as the stupid thing wouldn't accept my old one.

And I want nothing whatsoever to do with the Cloud; just CDs, music, iPods and my computer.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    Ah.

Is this worth looking into?

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Yes, S, absolutely.
    At home we all use this software for years.

6. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, then, do, please tell me more. As they say, I am all ears.

7. mwhals macrumors 6502

8. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

It can wipe out - or even add unpurchased items - to an existing account, where that account is active on 2 different laptops.
    Spoke with Apple's helpdesk but problem unresolved.
    Now I only use iTunes for podcasts.

9. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I used syncios (free edition)

It allows me to to put music on and off my ipod touch/ipad.
    And photos on and off without itunes.
    I too never buy music from apple all CD or given to me by friends.
    No illegal downloads here (cannot be 100% friends music is not though)

paid for version lets me backup texts/contacts/call logs etc from iphones as well.

syncios allows drag and drop on and off the device.

10. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hm, yes.

Old iPod classic is - for now, at least, completely out of commission; I will not be in position to have this seen to until I next return home, which is some weeks - possibly months - away, yet.

However, my iPod Touch did finally agree to greet - and welcome, playing host to - my computer's iTunes library.

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Glad that was sorted. Just deleted iTunes from my PC laptop because music sounds terrible on it, and frankly, Windows does not need to know this information.

12. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I am going to look into this myself. Does it allow for itunes match cloud sync as well?

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No, I'm Spartacus!

14. wayoutwest5505 macrumors newbie

wayoutwest5505

Purchased $249 refurbished 128 GB. Shut down and restart seems to help. TwStudios Utah

15. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I tried to install it saw they don't allow 2 step verification unfortunately. :(

16. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I don't have words (that can be used on MR) to describe my frustrations (multiple) with iTunes. As the OP said, there was a time when ripping music then putting it on an iPod was pretty simple. Now it's utterly confusing.

If I had a suggestion for Scepticalscribe it would be, on eBay (or similar), purchase an iPod from a time before cloud services, hook it up to your much loved MBA, and copy your music to the device; it should work as you want.

Apple's assumption is that most people want all their photos and all their music on every possible device. All newer computers, iPhones and iPads will only do photos and music in the cloud. It's tough to be a holdout.

17. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Imo it's probably a good idea to find out my your old Apple ID is not working, just in case it isn't hacked or anything.

For plain MP3 player, I recommend people to just get a cheap Android phone with an SD card slot. Simply copy your music to the SD card, put it in the phone, done. Much simpler for many people who don't need a database like iTunes.

18. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I disabled (I think) anything which tried to link me to the Cloud, particularly as it kept squawking about my two (legitimate) email addresses.

I don't want the Cloud but I do want that seamless experience - even on my old Windows Toshiba, I had an almost transcendental experience with iTunes. I want that back, not this infuriating nonsense that tries to hijack you and tether you to this unwanted rentier model of accessing music.

That positive experience with iPods and iTunes, - the Windows music programme was an absolute nightmare at the time, I cannot count the number of CDs I destroyed - plus excellent customer service were what turned me into a 'switcher' (to Apple) to invoke the term used on these threads.

19. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I have no issues with iTunes for music. It operates as I would expect.

Onion device syncing, Podcasts, and device management is hit or miss and frustrating.