iTunes future update 4.2 on Jailbroken devices

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jhonperkins, Oct 13, 2010.

1. jhonperkins macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I wonder, after jailbreaking my iPod... what happens when 4.2 comes out on iTunes. Is it MANDATORY to upgrade (iTunes won't work without me updating the firmware?) or I can just basically go on my merry way and say "No thanks" every time?

I wonder because, with that whole "save your SHSH blobs kiddos" lemma, I tend to think once the new firmware comes out you somehow are forced to stay away from iTunes or something and in case something goes back, then downgrade to 4.1 via TinyUmbrella...

Also another question would be, with a new firmware update, what happens to the jailbreak apps like Cydia and it's little packages, all of those are FORCIBLY gone along with their settings and let's say, once I jailbreak again on 4.2 I'll have to reconfigure it all?

Thanks for your time!!!

2. SoraLimit macrumors regular

You can just decline the offer. A window should appear whenever the update is available asking if you want to upgrade or not. It's not forced.

However, the Greenpoison/Limera1n jailbreak is apparently a bootrom exploit, so you'll probably see a jailbreak for 4.2 in weeks rather than the standard month.

3. jhonperkins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SoraLimit!!!
    It's great to know then, it's optional.

But then, let's say a jailbreak for 4.2 shows up, what happens to Jailbroken apps and packages of Cydia, those will have to be gone, then re-installed and reconfigured every time???