iTunes gets smart: $5 movies and albums!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael CM1, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It took 'em long enough, but iTunes has started to do deep discounts like other brick & mortrar retailers do every week.

This week, they have a bunch of Governator films for $5 (buy, not rent!). I own all of them that I want to see, but it's still nice to see iTunes joining the discount crowd. They're also doing the same with albums (smells a lot like Amazon's weekend sales). Hoorah for Amazon perhaps pushing iTunes to do this.

Now if they'd just add Blu-ray and a little Netflix streaming to Apple TV.......

2. ohhhcrud macrumors newbie

3. redelcamino macrumors newbie

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Umm... the iTunes store has been doing sales like this for a while now.

Discounted albums, movies, and music videos is not a new thing. I've bought several steeply discounted items over the past year during these sporadic sales.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ same. although i never bought anything on discount, but i have seen them from like 2+ years ago.

6. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

sure itunes has had discounted stuff before, like 7.99 albums but I've never seen 5 dollar movies of the week before

7. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Albums, yes. But not movies. I may have seen $7 movies before, but never $5. I'm still not buying any movies from iTunes (I'm now using Netflix and I can usually find the movies on DVD cheaper), but it's a step in the right direction. If they ever allow me to download images that contain all the special features and can be put on a disc, then I'll bite.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's good to see -- and at least by my standards, they're reasonably good albums. I have two already (Home and So Tonight That I Might See) ... some of the others are tempting. Combat Rock is a definite classic.

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I think they'd put in a little more effort, and bundle special features with the movie, kinda like when they bundle extra stuff with albums with music.

That'd be really sweet, cuz that's what holds back iTunes movies, I'd like to have special features, makes it harder to cut away from DVD's.

10. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Amen. It's a compressed version of a compressed movie without any special features and can only be played using iTunes, an iPod/iPhone, or Apple TV. Yes, I want to pay the same amount (or more) for these movies!

Any HD movies are going to EPIC fail because they will take up a ton of space, only be 720p, won't have the array of audio options, and won't have the expansive special features. Blu-ray may have taken a while to get in the game, but the lack of HD options online and the upcoming price slashing of players (Kim Komando says to look for $150 name-brand players on Black Friday), this may be its time.

I'll just settle for the studios to start cutting the prices of the movies. $30 for a brand new release? Yikes!