iTunes Gift Card - Help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Carmy, May 22, 2012.

1. Carmy macrumors member

I wrote about gifting apps to people in different countries, and found out that you can only gift an app to someone in the same country as yourself, using the same app store because of prices/conversion rates.

Understable, I guess,

But what about gift cards? $15 is $15 in any app store, they can buy whatever they want, so are the rules different for gift cards?

So if I buy a $15 gift card from iTunes....is that also restricted to only being able to give it to someone in my own country? or can I give that to people abroad?

My credit card is Turkish, am i allowed to buy someone in America a gift card?

The reason I ask is that we're running an iPhoneography competition and the winner will receive this as a prize.

But now i've hit a wall in the fact that I cannot give the winner a prize because of Apple's rules.

Any ideas? :)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Gift cards can only be redeemed on an iTunes account in the country from where the card was purchased. In other words, if I buy a gift card from another country, I need to have an iTunes Store account in the same country to redeem the code on it. I'd suggest sending the winner of the contest his/her winnings via PayPal and having him/her use that money to buy an iTunes gift card.