iTunes Gift Card question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Watabou, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have no credit cards and would really like to buy some apps from the app store. I thought that I can do this with the iTunes Gift card.

Well can I? I mean, can I use the itunes gift card for the App Store and will any credit card be required? I have my dad's credit card on the account but I don't want to use that because I want to pay for apps with my own hard earned money if this is possible and without jailbreaking my iphone.

Thanks

2. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

hmmm. I know that itunes prepaid cards will work. You need a credit card to open the account but I am not sure how the gift cards would work.

3. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Wait what account are you talking about?

As I said already, I already have an iTunes account with a credit card information in it. But the problem is, I don't want to use the credit card already on there. I want to use the iTunes Gift Card. I know there is a "redeem Gift Card" feature on iTunes so I thought that I can buy a gift card for myself and redeem it through iTunes. All I want to know now is that will the gift card work for applications.

4. Nieval macrumors 6502

Buy an itunes gift card and in the itunes store click on redeem in the top right corner. It'll ask you to enter the gift card code and then to sign in. Choose the option of creating a new account and enter an email different from the one you used in the previous account.
    When you're done, you'll have set up a new account with the value of the gift card visible in the top right side in the itunes store that corresponds to the country on the gift card. You can then use it to buy anything in the store from music to apps, and th cost will be subtracted from the total.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Once you login and click on the redeem card link on the right hand side, you enter the code for the card and it shows in the balance window at the top. Anything you buy will come from that balance until it is exhausted, then will default to your credit card.

6. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Ok thanks, I went and bought the 15$ gift card and it works with applications. Yay!:D