iTunes gift card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrFusion, Sep 12, 2010.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Will the iTunes gift cards available on amazon.co.uk and denoted in US dollars allow me to buy or rent movies on the iTunes movie store even though I am not in the US and the iTunes movie store is not available through my own country?

After years of waiting, I basically have given up on ever seeing the iTunes movie store in my country. But I do want to enter the digital era and get rid of all these DVD boxes.

2. aleni macrumors 68020

yes u can. just make an account for the US store, and redeem the code. but it's against the policy though, so someday when they disable your account, you can't do nothing about it.

what i do is i add movies and songs i want to buy to the wish list, and after it reaches $50, i just bought the $50 gift card and then download it all in 1 day. when apple disable your account, just create a new account.

but don't buy apps from the US store, when your account is disabled, you can't update your apps anymore. anyway you have the app store in your country right? buy apps from your local app store instead. for the movies and music, buy it from the US store, if the account disabled, the movies and songs don't need update. they can still be played in your gadget fine.

3. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the app and music store is available here. I thought that music and movies were only playable as long as you have a valid account. If not, then how does apple's DRM works? It checks against something or not?

Well maybe it is against their policy, but what does the movie industry prefer: this (in which they get money) or torrents (in which they don't get any money)?

4. aleni macrumors 68020

the movies industry is being scared of you pirating their movies after you bought it i guess. lol. im just joking.

i think the DRM thing is long gone now. you can play your music and movies just fine. no restriction at all as far as i know.

5. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have never downloaded this much before and I have never bought this many dvd's before. That is what happens when you can preview stuff (especially TV shows) for free. It entices you to spend more.

Ah, ok. I knew it was gone on the music, but I didn't knew that about the movies.

I will try it out and just see what happens. Thanks for the replies, now I know it has a decent chance of success.