Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I've seen a lot of discussion about this before with plenty of people having positive experiences.

I see advertisements like this on eBay:

The ad in question.

Has anyone actually had any luck with these? I've purchased coupons for Staples.com via e-junkie.com (where the links in the eBay ad actually go) and they are instantly delivered without any problems.

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding any experiences anyone has had with these.

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
I've heard a lot of people buy these and then a couple months later they are reported to have been bought with a stolen credit card (that's why they sell them so cheap) and then apple closes your itunes account down. :(

I found this out after buying one of these....
I bought it back on Dec. 24th, so it's been two months and I'm still fine (knock on wood) I'm really hoping nothing happens to my account.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I've bought gift cards off eBay without any problems but as always, check the reputation of the seller. Low rep and cards selling for way below face value? Buyer beware!

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I've seen a lot of discussion about this before with plenty of people having positive experiences.

I see advertisements like this on eBay:

The ad in question.

Has anyone actually had any luck with these? I've purchased coupons for Staples.com via e-junkie.com (where the links in the eBay ad actually go) and they are instantly delivered without any problems.

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding any experiences anyone has had with these.

I would not buy from that seller in question because he has zero feedback as a seller. I have purchased an Itunes giftcard off ebay before and it went great.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Quick thought: if the seller is located in France, why's the item in question in New York? (Or am I being dense?)

Bloake

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
I've bought $20 iTunes GC from eBay for $15. That's 25% off and it allows me to buy extra game apps :p

svlinho

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
I want a itunes gift card but i cant trust in ebay...

Someone sell me one...¡'¡¿?

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
My experience ? I've bought several gift cards on ebay over the past year. All of them have been fine, most of them were bought from one user and there have been no problems.

There was one which I bought from someone different, and lo and behold a month after buying it my itunes account was suspended. I contacted itunes and they advised that the gift card had been bought using a stolen credit card, so they just zero'd the remaining balance on my account and unsuspended it. So I faced a financial loss of the £25 I had paid for the $50 gift card.

Until I remembered that paypal do a buyer protect thingy for all transactions through ebay - I got onto paypal to do a buyer dispute, and one week later I received a full refund from them of the £25 so I suffered no financial loss at all.

As I say, that is only one transaction out of the six which I have done over the past year - the other five out of six have been absolutely fine.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Just a heads up.. They are stolen, however if you use all the funds within 1-2 months you will be fine. If you still have funds in 1-2 months you will notice they are no longer there as once itunes finds out they are stolen, they wipe out all the funds.

Only person that loses out here is the developer as they don't get paid for the app.

Your better off just buying a card directly from apple and support the developers.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
i bought a couple really discounted gift card from ebay in the past and didn't have any problems yet... interesting that they may suspend my account. i better go on an app shopping spree then. so if caught, they take your credit and return it to the stolen credit card owner??

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
As someone who has had their credit card number compromised, how about not expecting to get something for nothing and quit supporting the criminals that steal the numbers by not buying?

True, there are some of these that are legit as iTunes cards are often given away as a promotion. But there are many many more that are not and the thieves knows this is an easy, fast way to turn a buck.

You'll pay one way or another -either directly through your account, or indirectly in higher fees.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
As someone who has had their credit card number compromised, how about not expecting to get something for nothing and quit supporting the criminals that steal the numbers by not buying?

True, there are some of these that are legit as iTunes cards are often given away as a promotion. But there are many many more that are not and the thieves knows this is an easy, fast way to turn a buck.

You'll pay one way or another -either directly through your account, or indirectly in higher fees.

That is a sweeping statement you make. As you can see from the responses most people have had good results with buying cards on eBay. I have sold and bought iTunes card on eBay and that does not constitute supporting criminals as you stated. People look for bargains on ebay and find it.

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
I just bought one of these off eBay as well. 100 for 70. The seller had to send me three codes before I had one that worked, all the others iTunes said had been "cancelled." I finally got one that worked but it made me very uneasy about the whole transaction.

A few days later I found a similar ad in my local classified listings. This was 100 for 50. I emailed this seller and he says that he's been getting them and selling them for months, without issue, and has a long list of repeat customers. I even got his phone number, for future reference.

I'm not sure how SO MANY of these codes get created and then sold at such high discounts, but now that I've done more research into it I'm highly suspicious of them all. But it does appear as though some people are getting them in a legit manner and having success reselling them.

zez

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
My iTunes Gift Card - HELP!

I am on the other side of the spectrum here!!

I was given a $200 iTunes gift card for my birthday, from my Auntie, and since I don't use iTunes this is of no use to me!!

I tried selling it on our version of ebay (trademe.co.nz) where I have a 100% selling record, however they do not allow the sale of anything related to electronic music. Therefore I now have it for sale on ebay.com, but have no sales history on there, so I can imagine my ad probably won't get much confidence! I have lowered it to below the voucher value, however going by what you are all saying here, this makes it look less authentic?!

I don't know how I can really prove my authenticity? I have registered with PayPal, which required my credit card, and have even included an email from Apple to show the card is legitimate.

What else can I do here to find a genuine buyer?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
Take a picture of the real card showing both sides so people know you actually have a real card and not just a code.
Also add a piece of paper int he picture with your ebay username on it so they know it's actually you taking the pictures.

Also in the description say that you will mail them they actual card if they win, or you can email them the code if they want it faster. Or both. This insures them they will be getting the real card as proof.

Those two things will really help show you aren't a fake.

zez

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Thanks for your quick response. The thing is, I received an email from Apple with a gift code, so don't have an actual card. Or can i request Apple send me one maybe?

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
Oh...Umm I don't think they will send one.

You can upload a pic of that paper/email they sent you. Just be sure to blur out the actual code.;)

zez

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Thanks again, will do.

So what would you say I should be looking to get for this? It's $200USD as mentioned above.

One guy offered me $100USD, however I thought this was a bit low!

Apple said they can only refund it to the purchaser, and I would feel quite rude going back to my Auntie for this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.