iTunes: Gifted TV series can't be redeemed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EedyBeedyBeeps, May 14, 2015.

1. EedyBeedyBeeps macrumors newbie

EedyBeedyBeeps

I recently tried to gift a TV series (Ken Burns' The Roosevelts) to my in-laws, but they’ve had no luck in obtaining the series by redeeming the gift.

We don’t know specifically where things go wrong (sorry). The attempts have been: “We followed the steps, but there’s nothing downloading, nothing is available to download, nothing appears under TV Shows in iTunes, nothing appears on the Apple TV, etc.” "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" is turned on.

They were able to purchase and watch the first episode of the series. When my mother-in-law emailed iTunes Support to ask why her credit card had been charged, iTunes Support removed the show from their account to issue a refund for the purchase.

Along with that refund, iTunes Support provided a gift redemption code for the original gift—but following the process with the redemption code also hasn’t worked. (None of us had found a code before that email. I was able to send and resend the gift email, but there was only the “redeem now” button included in the original gift's emails. Maybe that’s normal.)

1. Can anyone please give me ideas about what could be going on?

2. Is there any chance that a show gifted from the latest version of iTunes on a Mac can’t be redeemed on a PC which is also running the latest iTunes?

3. The Mac I used was a new MacBook 1.2GHz 8GB. (My in-laws have a Toshiba laptop.) If I slated that Mac for return with Apple, is there any chance that the gift could have been deactivated in some way?

4. iTunes Support noted my iTunes account name correctly, and they have the iTunes account for the recipients, and they have the code, and they know which series is in limbo, and they were able to revoke access to it. Why can’t they simply “put the series back” into my in-laws’ account and consider the gift redeemed? (Licensing…?)

5. Does iTunes Support have a phone number that I'm not seeing? I've never needed to call them.

6. Will a gifted TV series only appear in iTunes (and approved devices which sync to it) or will it also appear as Purchased on an Apple TV?

tl;dr I've used iTunes for a decade but can't figure out why this gifted TV series doesn't get redeemed after following redemption process.

Thank y'all!

2. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

For question 2: It is tied to the apple account, not a specific machine

For question 5, I'd check https://www.apple.com/support/contact/
    I had a few movies disappear from my itunes and chatted with one of them and they were able to fix it for me.

For 6 it should appear under purchased