iTunes Grid View eats my RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by devburke, Dec 13, 2008.

1. devburke Guest

So I remember seeing a lot of reviews when iTunes 8 first came out, saying grid view ran really smoothly. I love grid view, but to get iTunes to work smoothly with it, I have to scroll up and down through my entire library a couple times, forcing iTunes to load the album art into my Macbook's memory. But by that point, iTunes is eating up a few hundred megs of my 2GB of RAM. So I'm just wondering, does grid view run smoothly for you, or is it choppy until you scroll through and get it all loaded?

2. sal macrumors 6502

it's a little choppy when viewing my entire music library in this view. But in all honesty, I don't like this view when viewing my entire music library. the only time I view the entire music library is when i am looking for a specific song, so list view + search is all I need.

just tried it and looking at activity monitor, the ram usage jumped from about 50mb to 250mb when looking at my music library in grid view.

3. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

thats acceptable because it has to cache all the image files to show them all. i'm pretty sure the ones that come with songs you buy from itunes are quite sizable, so depending on the size of your library, it might take up a lot of ram.

4. devburke thread starter Guest

I like it a lot cuz I like to buy CDs, so I like my library being album-oriented.