iTunes Grid View Massive GFX Freeze Up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PsychOff, May 27, 2011.

1. PsychOff, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

PsychOff macrumors newbie

I am quite stunned by this problem I have been having recently, due to the fact I can't pinpoint the source of the problem. Is it my screens, my graphics or iTunes?

Problem is thus: I have the latest iTunes installed and have been using it absolutely fine for quite awhile now. I always keep it in Grid View, so it shows all the album covers as thumbnails. A few days ago I began to notice when I was open on iTunes it would begin to make the screen tremble and interlace itself, like horizontal lines of pixels would fade in and out. Then one day it hit hard, if I leave iTunes running in the background, nothing happens, but when I remain on it fully or show most of the Grid View up on screen (even if an application is at the front of it but to the side not covering iTunes much) it suddenly slows my Mac right down, becomes unresponsive and the whole screen suddenly inverts its colours, creating shades of whites, blacks and just doesn't look pretty at all.

Best way I can describe it it looks like when you press your finger on an LCD screen you disperse the liquid and goes all psychedelic, its like that but the whole thing!!!

However, I then discovered that when I click on any other view other than Grid View it is fully stable. I had to apply this to all menus such as TV Shows, Music and Movies, if it is set in List View or Cover Flow it works fine, but Grid View seriously does something bad.

What is even more confusing is that I have two Hyundai WD240 screens, only 3 years old. My secondary screen is broken by the same occurrence I describe above, I used to keep iTunes window on it and it eventually seem to have been damaged by this iTunes Grid View glitch, it happened in the same way, progressively with these horizontal de-interlacing glitch. The secondary screen is now off, unplugged, it died about a month ago... or is it still alive, do you see my confusing dilemma here? Two identical screens both same age and one after the other experiencing the same glitch...)

This whole glitch seems to be a progressive thing; for instance it isn't happening right now. But I have a feeling it will come back to haunt me. I can't tell if this is graphics card, itunes or the screens. For fear of destroying my remaining screen I will stay out of Grid View for now until I resolve this matter.

For some information the GPU is a NVIDIA GTX 285 with latest driver and cuda driver installed. It is a Mac Pro 2008 model.

If anyone can help me diagnose this that would be great... I feel the glitch itself isn't bothering me but its the puzzle of it that is.

Regards
    PsychOff

2. PsychOff thread starter macrumors newbie

In Addition

Ok, just to add my secondary monitor is absolutely fine having tested it again, however this glitch is still happening, even worse now. But I have a feeling (call it a hunch) it might be a physical thing with the GPU on its DVI Port number 2... I'm so confused. When the glitch happens from this iTunes Grid View it happens on the screen in Port 2 of the GPU but not on the other screen in Port 1 (which is my secondary monitor now working fine...).

The odd thing is that I play games on here far more graphics intensive than iTunes... and is absolutely stable.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which version of Mac OS X are you running? This definitely sounds like either a driver glitch, or a hardware fault in the GPU.

4. PsychOff thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac os x

I'm running MAC OS X 10.5.8. Do you reckon I should update temporarily to Snow Leopard until Lion is released? I will say again that I have updated the drivers on the GPU.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't this iTunes glitch; will do further testing of GPU DVI Ports over the weekend and will post.

I might have done something stupid, I shamefully admit, and that I put WD40 onto the GPU fan to lubricate it, read somewhere that it was fine to do but then again not so sure now...