iTunes Grid view not displaying tracks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DarkHeraldMage, May 10, 2009.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I'm really hoping someone else has noticed this before and can help, because I'm at a complete loss. I keep iTunes open and running at all times and haven't noticed any issues all day today. I just went into it to play a track and when I opened the album from grid view, the tracks seem to be invisible. I can click on them and play them, but I have no idea what I'm clicking on. See attached for screenshot.

If I view in List or Cover Flow views, tracks show up fine. It's only Grid view that has problems. While it does show the grid of album art correctly, it's just when opening an album that a problem occurs. And I've confirmed that it's only in music albums, both in the main library and playlists, but not so in the Grid view of TV Shows; that functions properly and shows episodes when opened.

I immediately restarted and then when that didn't work I downloaded a fresh copy of iTunes and installed. I didn't uninstall it first if that makes a difference; I'm just really paranoid about losing all my playlists. Can anyone help? Please?

[Edit: I have now come to realize that the problem is that all the header columns have for some reason been disabled. I've gone through and re-enabled them for my music, but have come across yet another problem - the "name" column is by default active, so there's no way to activate it yourself. I can now view the artist, album, track number, etc, but cannot see the all important name of the track. Please help...]

Attached Files:

2. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I played with it some more last night and still have no solution. I'm still clinging to hope that someone out there can help. I've attached 2 new screenshots. First is the view as it should appear which I took from my MBP, and second is the current view from my iMac. Not only does the name field not show, but no longer does the artwork column either. Anyone have any idea? :(

Attached Files:

3. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Okay, it's pretty obvious nobody's seen anything like this before or has any idea how to fix it, so I went ahead and just completely created a new library. Unfortunately, I'm currently on my 3rd time doing so right now because iTunes keeps doing the same thing to me if I cancel anything it's working on. I'm beginning to see a trend.

This first happened when my Apple TV was syncing and I cancelled the sync. Then when I rebuilt the library it was processing all the gapless playback and I cancelled that and it happened again. Not noticing the trend, I once again rebuilt the library and accidentally told it not to copy my music into the iTunes folder, so I cancelled the import and it happened again. I've now learned - never cancel anything iTunes is doing. :-(

Let this be a warning to everyone. I don't know if it's an 8.1 glitch or if it is somehow just me. But it's a pain in the butt to keep rebuilding. What's even worse is that I backed up the library before the columns disappeared, and when I restored that backup the columns were still gone. I've pretty much given up on the iTunes I once loved. :(

4. jonb81 macrumors newbie

This started today and is peeving me off i found a solution (kind of) if you press grid view then press artist or genre or composer the name column is back but if you put it on album its gone! pretty irritating!!! hope this helps

ciao

5. blackboxxx macrumors regular

6. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I had to completely rebuild my library. As far as I could tell, the reason for the glitch was because I was modifying playlist views that held movies and TV shows as opposed to music. I would rebuild the library, then modify the playlists again to make them like I wanted them, and the view would glitch again. Once I rebuilt the library and didn't mess with playlist view options, it worked fine. I haven't had trouble since. :cool:

7. blackboxxx macrumors regular

Wow, that sucks. Having to rebuild the whole library (and losing playlists, ratings and play counts) just to workaround this glitch.
    Is there a way to submit a bug report to Apple about this?

8. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Apple Feedback:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

9. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Oh heck no, I didn't lose all that. I just spent days going through and individually exporting every playlist so that I wouldn't lose them, but as for ratings and playcounts, yes - those were gone. So I suppose I lost some and saved some. It was an awful experience, and one I hope to never go through again.