iTunes: Grouping vs Comments for Smart Playlists

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Traverse, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm in the process of going through my entire music library and reevaluating songs as I create new smart playlists. Is there any advantage to using Grouping vs Comments in terms of smart playlists and using a non-iOS iPod?

For example, one smart playlist I was thinking of making was a general "Workout" playlists with all songs tagged (via comment or grouping) as workouts and then creating smart playlists that draw from this large one in timed amounts (like 20 minutes). This way I would have timed playlists for workout sessions and a one large one to shuffle if I'm going to be doing a lot of outside work or something. That is one example.

I just want to know if I should choose one or the other or if they serve different functions. Thanks!

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

This may be easier: Create a standard playlist called Workout and drag all your workout songs to it. Then, create a smart playlist that draws the set number (or time) of songs from the Workout list. This way you don't have to tag all your songs (or untag them later if a song is no longer workout "worthy").