iTunes has died on me!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scarlet Fever, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I plugged my iPods in to sync, and iTunes froze. I left it for a while, but it was still not doing anything, so I tried to force quit it from the dock. Nothing happened, so i did it though Activity Monitor. Nothing happened. I tried to log out, but iTunes didn't want that to happen either. I went into the Force Quit window, and closed iTunes from there. It worked, so I logged out and logged back in.

Now iTunes is telling me "The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this folder". When I click Get Info about the iTunes Library, it says I have read/write permission for the file.

I tried option-clicking it and selecting the library, and repairing permissions, but both to no avail.

help? :eek:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Make sure you have read & write access to the whole iTunes folder (not just the library file) and apply it to all items within the folder. I wonder if rebuilding the iTunes library might help too...

3. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

rebuilding worked - kind of.

All play counts and ratings have been reset, but I suppose that's better than 40GB of iTunes content down the gurgler. Thanks, MJ :)

You must be awfully close to G5 status ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha! No worries mate. Sorry about the playlists and that. Still quite a way off G5 status, too... :)