iTunes has lots of little problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bollweevil, Feb 15, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I am getting really frustrated with iTunes because of all the little problems. Here is a short list of problems I have had:

1. It takes a while to start up.

2. It won't automatically add all my music to its library - I told it to search my disc and add all compatible files, but it only added about 75% of them. There was no pattern to what it left behind. I told it to add each of my music folders separately, and that got about 50% of the remainder. I tried again, and it found a few more files. Then I gave up - I am not willing to play this game where it asymptotically approaches having all my music.

3. If there is a flaw in an MP3, it just skips to the next track. I have many files that play with minor audio glitches in Foobar2000, but iTunes just skips to the next track when it hits the glitch. If I drag the seek bar to some point in the song after the glitch, iTunes will play the rest of the song fine. But this takes work, and it artificially inflates the playcount (iTunes counts 2 plays if you do this, because the playcounter increments every time it thinks it has finished the track).

4. One time I let iTunes organize my music - never again! It did several annoying things, including cropped any filenames that were too long for its little brain.

5. It is not very good at changing the ID3 tags of multiple files at once, and it lacks intelligent ID3 tagging tools, but I suppose iTunes wasn't built for that. (I like being able to write a little script that turns the filename 05 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gone.mp3 into the appropriate tag, etc)

6. It understands how to "Show Duplicates," but now it needs an option to "Never include duplicates on iPod." I like having duplicates on my hard disc where space is abundant, because sometimes there are different recorded versions of a song, and other times I just have two copies of the file. However, I really don't need all those duplicates on my iPhone where space is at a premium, and I can't easily look at the file info and track length to determine which version I want to listen to of the choices. My iPhone includes both live and studio versions of many songs, but I can't tell which is which, so I might as well only have one version on the phone.

7. I manually manage the music transferred to my iPhone and iPod, but because I do this, there is no easy way to get the On-The-Go playlists off of the iPod and onto the computer. Apple could fix that so easily, because it is already possible if you manage music automatically.

8. I made smart playlists which would randomly choose up to 100 MB of music from a particular artist, and then synced those playlists to my iPhone. That way I have a nice variety on my iPhone. Unfortunately, the smart playlists never "reshuffle" and choose different random songs. Is there a way to make them reshuffle, and perform their selection algorithm again? What I have been doing is "Edit Smart Playlist," then change any one of the selection criteria, then "OK," then "Edit Smart Playlist" again, then change the criterion back to normal. It is a waste of time, especially when you have many smart playlists, and considering the fact that they are allegedly "smart." Come on, Apple, give us a "perform selection algorithm again" option.

9. It gathers play count information from the iPod, that is good. Now, if only it stored play count information in the ID3 tag. Where does it store the play count information, and is there any way to copy it to the ID3 tag of the relevant file? That is exactly what file metadata was created for - use the damn tags, Apple!

10. This is just a feature I want: A little equalizer and volume control, separate from the normal volume control. When a song is quieter than every other song, or is poorly equalized, you can manually adjust the volume and equalizer, and iTunes saves those settings to the metadata of the particular song you were listening to. When you hear the song again, it uses those equalizer and volume settings again, but only for that particular song. You could also do it on an album-by-album basis. This would be a great feature for bands like the Pixies, because all their studio albums are pretty quiet compared to average music, and there are other band that use way too much bass. Some bands produce their albums with a ton of bass because they expect people to listen to them on crappy headphones, but this sounds terrible when you actually have a subwoofer.

The following are problems with the music player on the iPhone, not iTunes in general:

11. If I select an artist, I am then required to select an album, I cannot select "All Albums" and see all the songs by that particular artist. iPods used to have an "All Albums" option (called simply "All"). This is a hassle, because I often know who performs the song I want to hear, but I don't remember which album it was on. Do the new iPods still have this button?

12. I cannot save multiple On-The-Go playlists, like I could with an iPod. Do the new iPods still have this feature?

13. This is a feature request: Create a "Randomize order" button on the iPod and iPhone which will randomize the play order of any playlist, and save that order. This would be especially useful for the On-The-Go playlist. I almost always listen to playlists in "Shuffle" mode, but what happens if I listen to half the playlist, take a break, then want to come back to it? The iPod will play songs I haven't heard interspersed with songs that I just listened to, because it reshuffles the playlist. That is why instead of randomizing on the fly, the iPod should give the option of randomizing the order and saving that order. Then I could just queue up the first song I hadn't heard, and let it play, without needing to skip every other track.

14. I don't like the split screen on the new iPods. Is this a configurable option? I would want text to fill the screen, no damn album art! First of all, some songs have long names which require a wide screen to display, and second, I just don't like it. It reminds me of the posters for the movie Terminator, and it is so asymmetrical. What do you all think?

Please, add more complaints to my list! Give me suggestions, recommend fixes, tell me I am being a crybaby. Blindly defend Apple. Oh, and one more thing,

15. Can I transfer playcount data from one computer to another? What about from a PC to a Mac? How can I avoid accidentally erasing playcount data (I did that once)? Is there some way to merge playcount data from two computers? Do any other music players manage playcount data right? What about individual song volume and equalizer settings?

I think that's the longest single post I've ever seen, much less written. If anyone can provide a link to a longer post, I congratulate you.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

To add, iTunes is just really freaking slow and hogs the memory when you have 6,500+ songs. Here's to hoping for a slimmed down version of iTunes soley meant for managing music and ipods with no frills.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

1. How many tracks do you have?

3. Don't have glitchy files

4. Never had this problem.
    Picture 3.png

5. "I suppose iTunes wasn't built for that." Answered your own question

6. Maybe if you changed your tags to have "Live" on the live versions

10. This is just a feature I want: Use the EQ and create eq settings.
    Picture 4.png
    Then select the tracks you want to apply the EQ to and View info. Under Options there's a menu of the EQ presets:
    Picture 6.png

Then select your custom eq setting.

4. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

My response:
    1. A lot. But that is not a good reason for startup to be slow.

3. But I do have files with glitches!

4. Maybe they fixed it, I only let iTunes organize my music like four years ago.

6. That would be an awful lot of work, and doesn't address the greater problem of iPods including duplicates.

10. Wow, thanks, I had no idea. Really good to know, this is why I use this forum.

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

tagging is my biggest issue, i put in an mp3 of an interview converted from aiff that was taken from a movie. and it will not let me put an image onit. is there some software i can use to tag it outside of itunes? I don't knowwhy adding an image is always such a problem.

my itunes has frozen and crashed 15 times in the last hour, importing everything from movies to a song. its slow buggy and really really annoying. i'm getting sick ofit.

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

7. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean the Special Interests>Digital Audio forum? I thought about it, but was under the impression that the Digital Audio forum is for recording, editing, Garage Band, and things like that. iTunes is not about audio, it's about all kinds of media.

I have two new complaints:

16. It is not the best at importing CDs, and does not give many format choices (the lossless format options are especially lacking).

17. When I put in an audio CD, it freezes for five to ten seconds, not allowing me to play anything else or browse, and then finally announces that it cannot find the song titles. Other applications work during this temporary freeze, only iTunes is frozen. This is a bug.

I have one compliment for iTunes:

A. I stuck a CD in my D drive and another in my E drive, and selected "Import" for both. It imported one, then the other, without me having to come back and click on the second CD. Good work, Apple.

8. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

18. I am beginning to suspect that iTunes has a keylogger, an artificial intelligence brain, and emotions. It crashed for the first time ever after I wrote my iTunes-bashing post. This just in: Apple software has developed emotions, and the first emotion is spite!

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In typical Apple fashion this is a super complicated un-obvious task.

Select all tracks in your smart playlist and hit "Delete", the SPL will get re-populated with a new set of tracks. Works for subsections too, if you see something if your SPL you don't want to listen to. Delete. Poof! it gets repalced.

You can also automate this by adding a criterion of "not played within the past week/day/year" to your smart playlist, so that tracks that have been played will get cycled out.

B

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I've recently found there are quite a few little flaws in iTunes.

It disobeys a lot of the 'OS X rules', and is full of inconsistencies. When it comes to writing ID3 tags on certain file types, it brings up a little window which stops you from doing anything else. Instead, this should be in the little window at the top where it shows syncing & playback status etc. It's non-obtrusive.

Also, the fact that it even brings up a little progress window is wrong. iTunes needs to be re-written in Cocoa so it follows all the 'correct' OS X rules, such as messages and dialog boxes folding down from the top.

It's also very, very laggy (10k+ songs now, and about 20 movies and ~50 TV shows) and takes quite a while to start up.

Also VERY slow when it comes to iPods...

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I really hope that iTunes 8 is re-written from scratch so that it's leaner (65mb of RAM to WMP's 15mb) and faster

I WANT AN ITUNES SERVER!

A Wii itunes widget would be amazing.

Why is it that it always gives me problems or crashes when I keep my iPod plugged in?

12. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

19. If I am scrolling through my music, looking for a song to play next, and the current song ends, iTunes instantly scrolls back to show me the song it is about to play. I lose my place, which is annoying. I don't think iTunes should hijack my browsing experience like that, especially when I can see the title of the currently playing song at the top of the window regardless of where I am browsing. On a similar note, I have a feature request: Play the highlighted/selected song next (unless Shuffle is selected), don't just play the next song down. If I highlight the song five down from the current song, assume I want to listen to it next. This would only be annoying on the very rare occasions that I highlight a song to edit its tags, or view its properties.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Open Party Shuffle in a separate window from the one you intend to browse in. While by default it will shuffle tracks in at random, it will also allow you to drag new tracks to the play order and re-order them as you like. Changing tracks in the Party Shuffle window won't change the focus of the tracks in your library window where you are browsing.

B

14. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

That partially addresses 19, thanks.

I think iTunes is revolutionary in some ways - it is quite intuitive, and handles audio, video, podcasts, iPods, iTunes store, and internet radio right out of the box. That multifunctionality is impressive. However, the iPod is primarily interesting because of its hardware, not its software. Although iTunes might have helped popularize podcasts, I don't think iTunes deserves any credit for that terrific new medium. Podcasts were the cool new thing in 2004, and if I remember correctly, iTunes didn't handle them until 2005.

iTunes may be popular, but it is not really special. The iPod is special. Podcasts are special. iTunes is full of bugs and missing features.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've sent Apple feedback with a link to this thread.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The more Apple adds to iTunes (videos especially), the less I like it, but for me it's iTunes that makes the iPod experience what it is. Smart playlists did it for me, until they broke the functionality that made them update on the iPod itself.

I really hope that iTunes 8 will go back to basics.

B

17. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

The iPod itself used to update smart playlists? That is so awesome, I guess I never owned and used an iPod before that broke.

18. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

My mother just complained to me about problem 2, and she has less than a thousand files! iTunes didn't add all of her files, which were in a single folder, even though Spotlight and the Finder see them all. Double clicking a missing file works. The songs were all purchased legally and are completely glitch-free mp3s. Her computer is a Mac. This is a bug!

19. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

20. In the Artists view on my iPod, I see Pixies, The Pixies, Pixies, The Pixies, Pixies, The Pixies, Pixies, The Pixies, listed as 8 different artists. If I click any of the four "Pixies" entries, I see two of their albums that I entered into iTunes with the artist name "Pixies." If I click any of the four "The Pixies" entries, I see two different albums that I entered with the artist name "The Pixies." All entries with the same name bring me to an identical list of albums, but the name appears multiple times. I understand that iTunes and the iPod think "Pixies" and "The Pixies" are different, and I should have given them the same name, but why did it spawn 8 artists in the artist view? This problem of "artist hyperduplication" has come up with four or five bands that I have entered both with "The" and without, but it does not occur in every instance. I have never seen it with albums. It can be fixed by making the artist names match, but it is still really weird.