iTunes HD Coming

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TEG, Jan 10, 2008.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I was on iTunes last night and noticed that iTunes was advertising HD Podcasts. I thought no big deal, since the content of Podcasts was variable. But today I recieved an e-mail from Roddenberry.com (a website and store run by Gene "Rod" Roddenberry) and they are giving away "Star Trek: TOS Season 1 in HD ITUNES Downloads"[sic]. Makes me think that we will have HD content announced at the Keynote, and Roddenberry.com just jumped the gun on their monthly newsletter (having set up the giveaway with CBS/Paramount Television).

TEG

2. TEG thread starter macrumors 604

TEG

With Steve announcing HD content in the iTunes store, it looks as though I was right. Good job keeping a lid on it Paramount, and therefore Roddenberry.com.

TEG

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Are you sure Steve said that you could get HD rentals through iTunes?

Looking at the website, all of the mentions of HD rentals are connected to the aTV pages. The iTunes pages only refer to SD rentals.

I'm thinking that iTunes and Front Row will be limited to SD rentals mainly because of iPods. Unless they get a software update, the HD shows exceed the maximum resolution.

ft

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Yes, we're sure of HD rentals, it was announced during the keynote for Apple TV only.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yes, I just confirmed that when I updated my iTunes to 7.6.

There's some verbiage that you can rent HD material on the aTV and up to DVD quality on computers.

Pretty disappointing.

Seems as though HD rentals puts a "plus" in the aTV's column in the ongoing debate of "Mac mini vs. Apple TV".

ft

6. kkachurak macrumors regular

What?! That is absurd and wholly disappointing.

You can pay $4k+ for a Mac Pro with a 30 inch HD cinema display and you can't rent HD content? 'Scuse me?!

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, it's disappointing, but I suspect that someone will be able to hack iTunes/Front Row to allow for HD rentals somehow. Hackers are pretty clever.

As for the other comment, people who buy $4k Mac Pros should be using them for real work, not watching iTS 720p movies. ;)