Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Bought and downloaded Ironman 2 the other day from iTunes and everything went remarkably smooth and fast (1st time buying movie from iTunes).

It gave me 3 movies, an HD version, a SD version and iTunes Extras. Why would it give me an SD in addition to HD, if I wanted the SD version I would've bought that instead of HD. Not aggrevated or anything but was just wondering do they give it to you for a more iPhone/iPod friendly format? But my real question is when I access the movie from FrontRow how do I know I am accessing the HD version and not the SD?

If I access it through iTunes I can hover over the movie and can then choose between playing the movie or playing the Extras. But if I access it through Home SHaring from my Air it shows me both the HD and SD version to play as well as the Extras.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
You receive the SD version in addition to the HD so that it can be synced to older portable devices. The iPhone 4 and iPad 1 and up can play HD files, but older iPhones, iPod touches and iPod Classics will play the SD version.

I'm fairly certain that Front Row will default to playing the HD version, but there is a Preference pane in iTunes (in the Playback tab) called "Play SD Version where available". Make sure this is unchecked.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You receive the SD version in addition to the HD so that it can be synced to older portable devices. The iPhone 4 and iPad 1 and up can play HD files, but older iPhones, iPod touches and iPod Classics will play the SD version.

I'm fairly certain that Front Row will default to playing the HD version, but there is a Preference pane in iTunes (in the Playback tab) called "Play SD Version where available". Make sure this is unchecked.

That's what I figured. I may go in and delete the SD version to save disk space as both the wife and I have iPhone 4's and everything from here on out should be HD compatible.

I will check that preference in iTunes. Thanks so much for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.