iTunes HD Movie upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipedro, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I've been buying some movies lately, hoping to rather have them in HD at some point in the future when Apple begins selling HD movies.

Is there a precedent for Apple allowing to upgrade previously purchased content to HD?

I know that owners of original iTunes AAC music content can upgrade to iTunes Plus files for an additional fee.

Is it possible to upgrade TV shows that were previously purchased in SD to HD?

2. kkachurak macrumors regular

I hope so. I want to upgrade season 4 of Lost.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Currently, there is no special pricing to upgrade SD versions of TV shows to HD.

4. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Oh that sucks... I guess that sets it right there... once HD movies come up, you won't be able to upgrade. :(

On the other hand, it took Apple a while to allow for "Complete my Album", a nice courtesy to their customers.

Apple would get a ton of further money from already consumed previous purchases if they allowed HD upgrades for SD previous purchased material like they do with iTunes Plus.

In addition, I would welcome a Purchase your Rental option. If after watching a movie via rental, you decide to keep it, you'd pay the difference.

5. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Apple also introduced the upgrade to iTunes Plus. When deciding whether to buy DVD's or movie downloads, I'm really hoping that the movie downloads will allow upgrades in future. This will make up for the fact that you cannot sell downloads when you no longer want them - as you can with old DVD's (eg. on Amazon marketplace).

6. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Now that we can purchase "some" movies in HD what do you guys think the chances are that Apple adds special "HD-Upgrade" pricing for TV Shows ansd Movies? I'd REALLY like to see it happen.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I doubt it. When you buy a DVD movie from a local store do they allow you to upgrade it an HD version? No. But if Apple does this down the road then great, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Everything should be in HD wide screen anyway, this slow transition is just a way for the industry to bleed consumers.

8. Edward To macrumors newbie

Sorry for the bump, but I'm wondering if iTunes has changed its policy since last year? I, too, am very interested in upgrading my SD TV Shows purchased from iTunes to HD. Similar to how I am able to upgrade my previously purchased AAC songs to iTunes Plus.

Thanks in advance,
    Edward

9. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

The really should introduce upgrades. If you buy the DVD, you can sell it and put the money towards a blu-ray. You can't sell a download, so it's only fair to let you upgrade, even if it's just a small discount.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I agree with the upgrades. If there's any announcement, it will be at this September event.

11. ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

I assume you mean 1080p when you say HD. Apple sells HD movies. 480i/p is HD by definition. Apple sells 720p.

Perhaps you meant you had purchased standard versions? I wasn't sure.

Either way, I hope that when Apple eventually offers 1080p that those of us who purchased 720p versions will get free upgrades while the lower resolution purchases will have the option of paying for an upgrade.

12. Angmar macrumors newbie

480i is SD (Standard Definition)
    480p is ED (Enhanced Definition)
    720p+ is HD (High Definition)

See Here

13. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Now that they have HBO shows in HD, I'm really wanting some upgrade option too...I just wish they'd let us pay for the difference to upgrade, especially since HD HBO shows were unavailable for so long. Figures that I JUST got through season 4 of Big Love last month. :rolleyes: