iTunes HD rental quality

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by scouser75, Oct 7, 2017.

1. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Hi guys,

Are iTunes HD rentals the same quality as blu rays or DVDs?

Reason I ask is I bought an HD disc from Sky and it turned out to be a standard DVD. I was expecting a blu ray as it said HD.

2. upandown macrumors 6502a

HD does not mean Blu-ray. Itunes HD content is pretty solid but not the same as a Blu-ray. The nicer your TV/audio set up the more you'll notice.

3. geesus macrumors 6502

geesus

4K streams on iTunes are about bluray quality in my opinion. HD doesn't come close.

4. acorntoy macrumors 65816

A 1080p blu Ray is like 39-50GB, iTunes HD is around 8-10. The compression is much more aggressive.

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure as didn't want to get DVD quality like I did with my Sky HD purchase.

I'm aware that HD is high definition. But I don't want to watch something like Wonder woman or Aliens in DVD quality. I'd much rather buy a physical blu ray.

But if it's something where there isn't much action then I'd happily rent from iTunes.

6. Mamaw macrumors newbie

Don’t be afraid of renting or buying a movie on iTunes, the quality is a lot better than a simple DVD.
    Blu-ray and iTunes movies are the same definition (full HD 1080p), but yes more compressed.
    A lot of people don’t see the difference in picture quality.
    If you consider yourself a audio video enthusiast maybe you will see the difference but for the general public the difference in picture quality is almost imperceptible.

7. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

iTunes HD movie quality is really good. So much so that I stopped buying Blu-Ray discs altogether.

//

8. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm going to give a few titles a trial. Are there still discount codes going around for itunes vouchers? Or is that now a thing of the past?

9. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Honestly-I watched lots of hd trailers via aptvhd Fri evening.
    Aptv hd was stunning quality,clear rich vibrant colours.
    I plan to rent some hd movies over winter time.
    You wont find out until you purchase aptv and some hd movies,temp remove your dvd/blue ray thoughts and enjoy a movie.

10. Tech198, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G5

Not by a long shot... DVD's are standard definition... 720x480 (NTSC) 720x576 (PAL) . Compare that to 720p content (1280x720), and 1080p (1920x1080), which are both high definition.

Blue ray can store higher. It's about how good a resolution u can get that the discs support

If you wanted to you can store 480p (DVD) on a Blueray, but its the maximum resolution is the thing that matters depends on the type.

The higher the definition (more pixels), the bigger the disc that is needed to store that information.

11. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Right, I'm compiling list if films to rent for next weekend. Top of the list is Gravity. Now that's gonna be a good trial for quality!

Also, Quidco offer 7% discount on iTunes vouchers. Not much but over time you'd get a free rental for every 6 or so rentals.

12. geesus macrumors 6502

geesus

It's not all about resolution. Bit-rate is more important. 4K streams on iTunes have a similar bit-rate to Bluray discs (~25mbps) which is why they look very similar quality-wise, irregardless of BD only being 1080p.

1080p iTunes only offer woefully low bit-rates, which is why they don't come close to BD quality, despite both being 1080p.