iTunes HD tag

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by realityking, Dec 9, 2008.

1. realityking macrumors member

Revision 141 of mp4v2 is now able to write the atom that iTunes looks for to add the HD logo to a movie, TV show or music video. However combining a SD and a HD version to one entry doesn't work yet.

Usage:
    To add the tag:
    Code:
    ./mp4tags -H 1 <filename>
    To remove the tag:
    Code:
    ./mp4tags -r H <filename>
    You check whether the flag is set or not with:
    Code:
    ./mp4info <filename>
    You can also set a variety of other tags with mp4tags, however it si far from future complete.

Please note that this is the current development Version of mp4v2, so problems are expected. Please make a backup of any files before you touch them with mp4tags.

MP4V2 Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/mp4v2/
    OS X builds: http://rouvenwessling.de/mp4v2/mp4tags.zip
    Linux and Windows build would need to be compiled from source.

Please note again that this is a development version and no support is offered.

2. angle macrumors regular

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sorry for the bump, but what the crap am I supposed to do with this?

My type doesn't show up in Terminal (and some say that that is how it is supposed to be, but it has always shown up before), and when I type everything correctly by touch, nothing happens.

Does the file name have to be the name in the location? Like "<Macintosh HD/Users/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Movies/moviename>" or just the name of the movie?

Thanks.

4. NightStorm macrumors 68000

What are you expecting it to do? AFAIK, the only thing you'll see is an HD logo in iTunes if you reimport the video into iTunes (following the directions posted here).

You can use it to create combined HD/SD encodes like iTunes for all video types, as discussed elsewhere.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh... okay, so it has to be a file that isn't already in iTunes? How do you tell the program where the file is?

6. realityking thread starter macrumors member

7. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I'll typically drag the desired file from the finder window to the terminal one; this will ensure the complete path is correct.

8. bobdard macrumors regular

Im doing the exact same but nothing works. If I leave the <> around the file path, it says -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

If I remove it, and simply have ./mp4tags -H 1 /Volumes/Files/BMW.mp4, it says -bash: ./mp4tags: No such file or directory.

Any ideas?

9. realityking thread starter macrumors member

You're second command is the right one, the "<" and ">" were just for illustration, sorry for any trouble they caused.

You're issue is that mp4tags is not in the directory you are in the terminal. You need to go there first.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I can't see any text that I type (again, this might be what is supposed to happen), and nothing I do works. Typing everything correctly blind results in absolutely nothing happening.

Any ideas?

11. realityking thread starter macrumors member

I don't think you have a mp4tags issue. I suggest you try to read a terminal/bash tutorial first or wait for a GUI solution.

12. jphastings macrumors newbie

You haven't escaped your file name properly:
    Either make the name look like this:
    ./mp4tags "/path/to/file with spaces in.ext"
    or like this:
    ./mp4tags /path/to/file\ with\ spaces\ in.ext

The advantage of the first way is that other characters BASH doesn't like will be dealt with too (like !)

To add the HD tag you would just need to download the file linked above then open terminal and go:

Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/mp4tags
    # You'll be put in the mp4tags directory, assuming that's where you downloaded to
    ./mp4tags -H 1 "/Volumes/My_External_Drive/Video/HD Film.m4v"

Happy HDing!

13. XmasRights macrumors newbie

OSX Binary Location

Where can I find the OSX Binaries for this? The link above seems to have gone offline.

14. benh911f macrumors 6502

Xmasrights,
    The easiest thing to do is just download Subler. There's an option to add either the 720p or 1080p HD Tag.

15. developer619 macrumors newbie

This issue is new for me but i really suspicious how could it will occur..