iTunes HDCP Error

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iAlexG, Feb 20, 2010.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I posted this in the Basic and help section but i thought this would be better.
    I tried to play Surrogates this morning. It was purchased from the iTunes store and wont play now but it did in a couple of weeks ago. After the error appeared i tried another bit of HD content but that didnt work either and that was last played on Feb 3rd, so that rules out the iTunes 9.0.3 update right?

Next i thought about the cable so i switched from DVI to HDMI connection to my Acer H233H but i believe the monitor is unrelated to the problem since HD content did not play on my Samsung or Sony HDTV's.

Finally after calling 1-800-MY-APPLE (they had no idea by the way, i was passed to various different guys and they said to go to the apple store for testing) I decided it must be an apple update from the past 2 weeks that has altered my DisplayPort.

Anyone else got any better ideas? or the same experience?

2. davwin macrumors regular

Not sure how much help this will be but, it might be an HDCP handshake issue. I have had similiar problems playing back HD content from iTunes over mDP > HDMI. In my case the issue cleared after disconnecting/reconnecting all the cables and rebooting the laptop. This has happened about 3 times over the past year and the "reconnect&reboot trick" has worked all 3 times.

The fact that the same cables and content do work most of the time and only occasionally fail implies that the HDCP handshake is failing. This can of course be any device in the chain (the cables, the display, the mDP adapter, the MacBook itself, etc) but, since just reconnecting all the cables by itself doesn't resolve it my guess is the video driver isn't resetting or whatever after a failed HDCP connection - so the reboot allows it to retry.

I don't have anyway to confirm this and our issues may not be the same issue but, I hope that it provides some help.

3. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

the problem just seemed to go away. After a few days of daily reboots it just fixed itself. Thanks anyway

4. davwin macrumors regular