iTunes help: grouping CD's weirdly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redhawk87, Mar 14, 2011.

1. redhawk87 macrumors regular

So I bought a song off iTunes. The song was part of the deluxe version of the album. I later wanted to buy the whole album so I downloaded the non-deluxe version and, like it always does, it did not re-download the song I already have. I changed the name of the album for that one song to reflect the rest of the album and it did not move it inline with the other songs. The out of place song has the same album name, same artist name, same album artist name, same # of tracks, same # of disks, and is even in the same folder as the rest of the album. I have no idea why iTunes would not group them all together.

iTunes has grouped it in the following order by track number (this is for better clarity and those visual learners out there :) )

track #1 of 16
    track #2 of 16
    track #3 of 16
    track #4 of 16
    track #5 of 16
    track #6 of 16
    track #7 of 16
    track #9 of 16
    track #10 of 16
    track #11 of 16
    track #12 of 16
    track #13 of 16
    track #14 of 16
    track #15 of 16
    track #16 of 16
    track #8 of 16 (the song I bought by itself)

any help would be appreciated! thanks.

p.s. I am using iTunes 10.2.1

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To make sure iTunes sorts albums together, the following fields need to have matching data in all tracks:
    • Album
    • Album Artist
    • Sort Album
    • Sort Album Artist
    Also, make sure Disc numbers, if present, are correct.

3. redhawk87 thread starter macrumors regular

album, album artist, and disc numbers are correct. Where is the sort album and sort album artist sections?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you Get Info, they're on the "Sorting" tab, strangely enough! :D Also, it's a good idea for these fields if you select all the tracks of the album at once, then Get Info and modify the tags. That way, you won't have issues with a capitalization or punctuation or a space that throws one track off.

5. redhawk87 thread starter macrumors regular

nevermind, I found the sort album section. I changed the album name but not the sort album name. Thanks for the help!