iTunes Help: Multiple User Accounts, One iTunes Library in 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jhenry, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jhenry macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Run into a bit of a problem. I've recently just set up a new user account on my Dual 2Ghz Powermac G5 and I wanted to share the same iTunes and iPhoto library between the two accounts. I've worked out how to do the iPhoto Library (moving it into the shared folder and changing permissions seems to have done the trick; though I am now getting a 'repair' dialogue every time I open the iPhoto library in my account?!) and I thought that the iTunes account would be the same... i.e. move the music folder into the shared folder, then set the path to this folder in both accounts' iTunes.

However, in my user account the library is working perfectly now but the other user account is not showing any music at all. I've checked in preferences and it is the correct path to the folder and the shared directory, but I'm not getting any of the library displaying... Can anyone shed any light on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. manofthehill macrumors newbie

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1767075&tstart=0

^ My recent post on the Apple forums. Somewhat related. When I first set up my wife's account, the library showed correctly for my account only, even though both accounts pointed to the same (correct path). Then I really messed up...

Maybe it's just a 10.5 thing, as this worked flawlessly under 10.4...

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Apple has a support article regarding setting this up for iPhoto. I haven't personally tested if iTunes works the same way but I hope this helps: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198

P.S. The reason that your solution doesn't work is that although you may have changed the permissions for the iPhoto Library package it doesn't include all of the subfolders or files unless you "Apply to enclosed items." I wouldn't recommend doing that because permissions are generally set by the system. Try the disk image solution if you don't have an external hard drive.

4. jhenry thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, definitely related... The weird thing is that when I first did it I could view the files in her account?! I'm having the exact same issue with regards to copying songs into the library from her account too...