Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
When attempting to add more songs to my iTunes library, I keep getting this error.
itunescopyfailure.png

I have repaired permissions, restarted, and clicked the option to ignore ownership on the volume but nothing helps.
And it's not just one song. It happens regardless of the song or artist. Sometimes it happens on the first song when I start copying, sometimes it has already copied several successfully before it stops.

BTW, I have the latest version of iTunes and Tiger. I also am using my external hard drive to store my music instead of the internal on my ibook.

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
I can copy small files but when I try copying a folder of mp3s, for example, I get the same error only in finder.

exthdinfo.png

findererror.png

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe try deleting your iTunes preferences then. Look for and delete (or remove from folder) a file named com.apple.iTunes.plist whilst iTunes isn't running. :)

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
mad jew said:
Maybe try deleting your iTunes preferences then. Look for and delete (or remove from folder) a file named com.apple.iTunes.plist whilst iTunes isn't running. :)
if itunes is the problem, then why would Finder display a simllar error message when copying to the external HD?

The only thing I installed between it working perfectly and this was a demo version of mathematica (and I installed it onto the external HD instead of the regular applications folder). Could Mathematica have changed something?

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Try making a new account on your computer and try to access the external drive from that account and tell us if it works. Then we can tell if it's some issue with preferences, like somebody above mentioned, or something else with your account.

Alternatively, if you have another Mac around try using it to connect to the hard drive and see if that works.

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
ok, I will try using another mac. Also do you suggest I give everyone read & write permissons and apply it to enclosed items?

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
OK, when the firewire HD is connected to another computer, copying files works fine. (even copying the very same files I had tried to copy eariler)

What do you make of this?

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
When the HD was connected to the other computer (iMac), I copied several folders of mp3 files to the root level of the drive (these always copied without any errors). When the HD was connected back to the iBook, I went inside of each of these folders, did a select all and then command-O so that iTunes would add all the files to its library and copy the files to the Music folder. This copying went fine also.

However, copying files from a mounted Network Drive produces the error.
So, it seems that copying from a network drive is what is the matter. (it could also be only that network drive and not all, I don't konw) I will create another user and see if the problem is still there.

I just created a brand new user. Same problem when copying from the network drive to the external.

Do you think it is a problem with the external or the network drive?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
12ibookg4 said:
if itunes is the problem, then why would Finder display a simllar error message when copying to the external HD?

The only thing I installed between it working perfectly and this was a demo version of mathematica (and I installed it onto the external HD instead of the regular applications folder). Could Mathematica have changed something?

Yeah, sorry, I didn't notice the Finder thing. My bad. Ignore the iTunes PLIST thing. :eek:

Definitely create a new account to see if it's just your current one that's wrecked. Also, do you have FileVault running?

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
mad jew said:
Definitely create a new account to see if it's just your current one that's wrecked. Also, do you have FileVault running?

No to the FileVault question.
I experience the same problem on a new user account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.