Itunes help please (noob question)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by compute, Feb 11, 2015.

1. compute macrumors regular

Hi folks,

I'm in need for some help with itunes, i just don't get this program...been working with complex programs like maya and zbrush but i just can't figure out how to do the most simple/ obvious stuff in itunes. Is it me or is itunes just about the most user unfriendly program ever.

Here's the problem. When i delete all music from my iphone 5s, soon as i connect the,phone to my mac, open itunes and check the music list on my device according to itunes the songs are still there, however, they don't show on my phone.

- Can someone pretty please point out the steps on how to simply erase music on my phone so that it won't show up in itunes annymore.

- how my settings should be on itunes for manually adding music to my phone. I do not want my itunes library automaticly transfered to my phone. I want to manually do this.

- do i need to hit the sync button after dragging music to my phone via itunes.

Im running all the latest versions (yosemite...etc)

All help is really appreciated

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

iTunes is slowly improving from being a giant mess to a smaller mess. The Windows version is even worse than the Mac version.

iTunes remembers what your devices had last and you need to sync the device to let iTunes know what changed. Otherwise it would have to scan your device each time you connect, and that would take a while on the new 128 GB devices.

• If you want iTunes to keep up to date, make sure the automatic sync is checked.
    • There is a box for manually managing music. This stops iTunes from adding music at every sync.
    • There is a box for syncing only checked music. I like this one because I can make playlists of stuff I want and then iTunes keeps things up to date.
    • If you use the manually manage music setting, you do not need to sync. Only for the automatic options and if you do something on the phone and you have automatic sync turned off.

3. compute thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Cruisin, thnx for replying.

So am i correct when saying that i should go for the " manually manage music setting"?

When i do this, and connect my Iphone to the mac Itunes comes up with a list of songs on my device that i had already deleted from the phone. When i try to delete this list and right-click there is not even the option to delete or empty this list....all songs in this list have a checkbox infant of the title...i have no idea what this checkbox does or why it's even there....what does unchecking these songs actually do?

I'm the type of guy that almost weekly deletes all music on my iphone to have it replaced with a new album, most of the time there's just one album in the music library of my phone...every time i delete the album and try to put a new album on the phone its a real pain in the ass...how much i hate Itunes is beyond words.

Is there like a crystal clear tutorial of some sort on line that explains how to actually delete songs from the iphone and upload songs to the Iphone from the mac - Manually without all this syncing crap...lets say the old-school way drag and drop.

I feel like a complete noob :eek:

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If you want drag and drop you bought the wrong device unfortunately (try Android). iTunes has a specific way of doing things that you will always be fighting if you want to do things differently (its like swimming upstream). Right click is not used for much on mac (one button mouse) so many things are not designed to use it. There are some apps that promise to allow drag and drop for music, but I have never tried them.

I tried using the manual management of music but I couldn't figure out how to easily remove playlists from my phone. I always had empty playlists when I removed the songs. The easiest method I found was to use "sync only checked songs" and then under the music tab on the device check the playlists, albums, etc. I want and uncheck the ones I don't need and press sync. Not drag and drop simple, but still pretty good.

The check controls the sync process. Any songs that are unchecked will not be synced to any device, even if they are part of an album. I don't know how it affects manually managed music.

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Drag and drop would definitely be doing things the hard way. I manage my music manually with playlists. I check the box for the playlist I want loaded and let iTunes do the rest.