Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys,

I had a quick question, and I hope it's not too much of a stupid one. I'm going to be buying a new mac soon, and was a little worried about what was going to happen to my iTunes, which I currently sync with my iPhone. I have all my music backed up, but when I sync my phone to my new computer, will I lose all my apps etc..?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just copy the iTunes folder from the old Mac to the new Mac, Setup Assistant, Migration Assistant or Finder will do that for you.
The folder is located in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music /.

Btw, since this question comes up very often, you can also use MRoogle to find more descriptive answers via that tool.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Just so your iTunes on your new computer doesn't treat your iPhone as a new iPhone, back these up and transfer them too:
Mac - ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
Windows - C:\Documents and Settings\YourNamedDirectory\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just copy the iTunes folder from the old Mac to the new Mac, Setup Assistant, Migration Assistant or Finder will do that for you.
The folder is located in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music /.

Btw, since this question comes up very often, you can also use MRoogle to find more descriptive answers via that tool.
Hey thanks for that. It's just that I'm not going to have my current laptop on me when I get the new one. Do I just copy the folder to a back up drive?

Thanks for the link btw.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just so your iTunes on your new computer doesn't treat your iPhone as a new iPhone, back these up and transfer them too:
Mac - ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
Windows - C:\Documents and Settings\YourNamedDirectory\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
I don't see a folder called Mobilesync in Apple>Application Support... Am I looking in the wrong place? At this point, I have everything backed up (music, photos etc...) but I'm worried about having to reinstall all my apps etc.. on my phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.