iTunes Help - Saving tracks to an external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keniff, May 2, 2009.

1. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

OK, so here's the deal...

I have all my music on my external Hard Drive and I direct iTunes to that.
    Consequently I can only listen to music when the external HD is on, which is fine.

So here's my Question.

If/When I drop new music into iTunes while the external HD on, how can I be sure it's copying to the external HD?

I just dropped some new music into iTunes, and then when into the iTunes folder in the external HD, and it doesn't seem to be there...

Do I have to set something up in iTunes Preferences? (cause I can't seem to find it!)

Using:
    iTunes 8.1.1
    OS 10.5.6

Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction in solving this minor problem...

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Since you have the library set up on the external, make sure both items on the top of the iTunes Preferences > Advanced page are checked.

Attached Files:

3. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Try this.. go to the advanced tab... and then make sure that iTunes Music Folder is set to wherether you wan't it to be.. If it isn't then make it there in the right place...

[​IMG]

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Bugger... you beat me by a few seconds... maybe I was faffing around in Skitch for to long :D

5. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Thank You Sir,

And I did have both boxes at the top of the advance page checked.

I put a new Album (in it's own playlist folder) into iTunes.
    I made a search on the internal HD and the external HD and Spotlight (just to Triple check) and it seems the Album has been saved, but it's saved to the internal HD, even though I have set everything up right in the Advance iTunes preferences to go to the External HD (see screen shot below):

[​IMG]