ITunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mark09, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Mark09 macrumors newbie

Hi need some advice. I have mb pro with huge amount of movies in iTunes. Then I have Windows Sony viao full of my music backed up to NAS. Sonos is connected to the music on the NAS.

Now I want merge the 2 iTunes libraries and keep all music and movies iTunes etc on a time capsule & NAS to stream via ATV2

How do I do this without loosing any data?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you looked at Plex as an alternative to iTunes for managing and playing movies? I recently switched to it and it works extremely well!

3. Mark09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm no I shall have a look on to this thanks.

So do I still use iTunes? I am adding a mini mac to the network so it sleeps wen not streaming movies from iTunes. Do I still need a mini mac to run in the back ground?

I assume I jailbreak the ATV 2 to install the plex?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on how you prefer your setup. For example, I use iTunes for music, music videos and podcasts, which I can play via AirTunes on my stereo speakers. I use Plex to play movies and TV shows, which are stored in 3 locations (external drive, MBP and mini). I play those on the mini, which is plugged via HDMI into my HDTV. I like the way Plex automatically downloads movie posters and metadata for any movie I add to the library. I can then browse by actor, director, year, genre, etc. to find the movies I want.

I don't use the ATV2, so check the Plex site (lots of good documentation and a forum) to see the best way to set up with the ATV2.

5. Mark09 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. bt22 macrumors 6502