Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Time-Lord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Hey there compatriots,

So heres my predicament. About a month ago, while on Vacation in California, our rental car was broken into and carryons stolen. They got my MacBook Pro and hard drive with backups on it. luckily, all the files I had on my MacBook, are on my iCloud Drive. I also have Apple Music so all my music is in the cloud aswell as my app purchases. The one issue I have though is now that I have a new MacBook, if I want to sync my iPhone to this computer, it wants to erase everything on it. And there is some stuff on it that was only on my old MacBook and currently resides on my iPhone. is there any possible way that I don't know about that I am able to move everything to my new MacBook off my phone just so that I have EVERYTHING I had back again? I really don't want to restart with a new iPhone and I have iCloud backups of my phone but I want to be able to sync my phone to my computer again. I also wanted to know if anyone knew anything before I called apple support and see what they say. So any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Hey there compatriots,

So heres my predicament. About a month ago, while on Vacation in California, our rental car was broken into and carryons stolen. They got my MacBook Pro and hard drive with backups on it. luckily, all the files I had on my MacBook, are on my iCloud Drive. I also have Apple Music so all my music is in the cloud aswell as my app purchases. The one issue I have though is now that I have a new MacBook, if I want to sync my iPhone to this computer, it wants to erase everything on it. And there is some stuff on it that was only on my old MacBook and currently resides on my iPhone. is there any possible way that I don't know about that I am able to move everything to my new MacBook off my phone just so that I have EVERYTHING I had back again? I really don't want to restart with a new iPhone and I have iCloud backups of my phone but I want to be able to sync my phone to my computer again. I also wanted to know if anyone knew anything before I called apple support and see what they say. So any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
iTunes will only erase the content that you are syncing (i.e. turn on movie syncing in iTunes will erase the previously synced movies) and leave everything else in tact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.