iTunes Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speedemonV12, May 7, 2007.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

hey guys, I was wondering if there was a way to undo the itunes importing songs. I had itunes set to import all the songs, and to put them all into itunes own folders and stuff, you know how it organizes all the files. That is how itunes is originaly set up. I want to undo this, I want to have all my files in one folder and all the files to be named with the Artists - Title.mp3
    But i have 1700 dif artists, and manually taking all the songs out, and then renaming them would be painfull. Anyway to do this?

thanks!

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Okay, first, do you still have all the original MP3 files? Second, do you have any files in iTunes that aren't in the group of MP3 files? If yes and no, just delete all tracks in iTunes, set your iTunes preferences (Advanced tab) to NOT "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" (i.e uncheck this box), then re-import all those MP3s again. They should stay where they are.

3. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I thought of that already.. the problem is that I deleted the original files because itunes imported them all. I never thought that I would want them back into one folder.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why not just leave it to iTunes to organize and store your files? It does a pretty good job and shelters you from filename mess.

5. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ya, its not bad... but when i try to move files around, to dif computers and things like that, it gets kind of tought...

6. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

That would be one massive undo. haha. id say, either keep it the way it is, or somehow search for a program or a way to take the ID3 tags and put it in the title, like how you like it. :confused:

7. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

i know how to rename the files.. but i just dont know how to get all the files out of the folders that itunes put them in

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Couldn't you create a smart folder using kind=music?

9. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

In Finder, do File->New Smart Folder

11. triobot macrumors member

triobot

Remove the "auto organise", then find a program like auto-tag and rename all the songs that iTunes messed up