ITunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atiffarooq, May 31, 2007.

1. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

First of all I will offer my apologies if this post is in the wrong section, or has been asked before. If it has then if anyone can direct me to the answer I will greatly appreciate it. I use Windows XP :eek: and have a Macbook :D :D . I've started using my Macbook a lot more because I've began to dislike Windows more and more and the convenience and ease of use of the Macbook is incredible. I am still a complete newbie to the Mac world though. I am still going to be using both machines and have a question for any ITunes buffs.

I've bought an external hard drive which is formatted in FAT32 format so I can use this to read/write on both machines. All of my music is currently on my Windows desktop and I use this with my IPod and IPod shuffle (I was greedy and bought both! :p ). Anyway, is there any way to transfer all of my music on to the external hard drive and use it on both my Macbook and my Windows PC? I don't have a problem transferring the music to the HD as I can just drag and drop this to the drive as necessary, but will ITunes recognise the music in the same way on both machines? I'd want to sync the IPod on either machine if possible as well.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this was a dumb question!

Atif

2. 66217 Guest

It is iTunes, not ITunes. Sorry, I couldn't help stopping me from telling you.:D

As for your question, you can have your music in an external HD and there will be no problem for iTunes to read it. The problem comes with the iPod. You can only sync it with one computer.

I would recommend you to use it with the Mac side, that way you can have the whole experience. It is supposed to work better with Mac.
    By using it with your Mac side, I refer to have it Mac formated. The only problem with having your iPod Mac formated is that you won't be able to use it with Windows unless you have MacDrive.

Hope this answers your questions:)

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It should recognize it the same way. Glad to hear your coming over to the light side :)

4. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I thought you could use the iPod with multiple computers as long as you manually manage songs and playlist and not autosync?

5. atiffarooq thread starter macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Sorry ... I wont be making that mistake again! :eek:

Thanks for your response, it's the kind of advice I was looking for :D

6. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

iMglad you corrected it. :D