iTunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eternity, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Eternity macrumors newbie

Hi, since reformatting my computer and installing iTunes again all my songs have been dublicated in iTunes, one of them is a working file while the other has the error message "The song "....." could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I obviously don't want too as I have a working copy already of the song, so I want to delete all the songs with this error (songs marked with a exclamation mark next to them). I know you can individually delete the songs, but since I have so many songs thats going to take ages.
    So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way of mass deleting just the songs with errors?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well you could hold the Command (Ctrl on Windows, whatever you're using) button and select all the songs then hit delete. You still have to individually select every single song, but at least you'll only have to hit Delete once ;)

3. laryter macrumors newbie

ITunes/I photo and Leopard problems

Like Eternity, who wrote.

Hi, since reformatting my computer and installing iTunes again all my songs have been dublicated in iTunes, one of them is a working file while the other has the error message "The song "....." could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I obviously don't want too as I have a working copy already of the song, so I want to delete all the songs with this error (songs marked with a exclamation mark next to them). I know you can individually delete the songs, but since I have so many songs thats going to take ages[/I][/SIZE][/I][/I]

I am having simialr problems with my I Tunes and even additional issues. Since I have installed Leopard I have had problems on two fronts.

1) My ITunes keeps crashing...it happens randomly so I don't have a specific reason to give. and also, I can't delete anything anymore without the program closing down. From both the music directory and the movies directory if I try to delete anything....either by highlighting and clicking delete or by moving the file to the bin, the program closes out. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

2) Secondly, when I tried to move my IPhoto directory to another drive, and gave the IPhoto Directory a name and asked the computer to find it, it has dumped all the photos into one directory and won't, no matter how I try it, copy the folders I had set up seperating the photos into events or trips. When I first copied the folders it doubled the number of photos I had and it took me for ever to go in and erase the duplicates. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a correct way to create a new I Photo library and set it up exactly the way the other was? I would be very grateful for any help on this.

Thanks

4. triggerfish macrumors newbie

If you're not concerned about retaining play counts and ratings, you could select every song in your library and hit delete, but select KEEP FILES when prompted.

Once your library is empty you can add your music back in (without ghosts) with File>Add to Library (or "Add Folder To Library" for PC) and select your iTunes Music Folder location.

HTH

5. Eternity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

GSMiller, yeh I did think of that but with the amount of songs I have it's still going to take quite a while, I was hoping for a quick fix really if there was one. Thanks for the suggestion, I ended up organising the songs through play count and since I'd played all my songs before reformatting the ones with an error all had a playcount, while the 'new' working songs didn't, so I did it through Shift and selected the ones I wanted to delete.

laryter, make your own thread, your problems aren't that similar to what this threads about so your hardly going to get much help by asking through mine.

triggerfish, I never thought of that. I'm not fussed on play counts etc, they would of been deleted anyway and the new songs don't have my ratings etc on them. Next time I reformat my PC I'll be doing it that way! although I've just ordered an iMac :)D) so most of the time I'll be using iTunes on that.

Cheers again for the help!

6. laryter macrumors newbie

Eternity. My apologies, as I have obviously broken an unspoken guideline of these posts.

I am a new member today and I was just trying to seek some help to a problem that I cannot solve. I saw in your post, the same two issues with which I am faced; Itunes dublicating songs and the same error message being generated.

Since I had spent the best part of this afternoon trying to find a way to create my own post unsuccessfully (my intelligence level is obviously not as high as I had hoped), I thought the answers you may receive might be able to help me, so I added my own post to expand the dialogue.

Rest assured, I am making every attempt to find a way to post my own thread, and won't be treading on your thread again. Once again, my apologies if my action has been cause for concern.

7. Eternity thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't worry about it :) its just since your experiencing more problems then myself, you'd be better off making your own thread where help will be given directly for your issues, as mine are now solved really.

To make your own thread just go to "iPod and iTunes Discussion" section of the forum (or which ever forum section you require), scroll down to the bottom and on the left hand side you will see a "New Thread" option.

8. laryter macrumors newbie

Eternity. Thanks, managed to follow your directions and find the place to post a new question. Let's hope the responses I get can help as yours did.

Regards

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I don't know about Windows, but if you need to do it when you get your iMac, this script works perfectly

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts01.php?page=1

It's called Super Remove Dead Tracks, and will go through your entire library, delete anything that doesn't exist, and generate a log at the end for you so you can see what it's done. :)

10. Eternity thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries laryter.

Osarkon that looks great, thats the sort of thing I was looking for, something quick to get rid of the songs with errors. Guess there must be a Windows equivalent around somewhere.
    Bookmarked that for future reference with my iMac.
    Thanks a lot for that :)