iTunes Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SayCheese, May 25, 2009.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Some advice required please.

My Dad has an iPod Nano and he is using Windows XP and iTunes v8. This evening he connected up his Nano to the computer as normal and got presented with a message stating that he needs to restore the iPod. This he does, clicking restore and then 'yes' to all the relevant questions and it also downloaded the latest iPod software.

Then when it had finished updating and restoring the iPod the problems began.

The iTunes library shows all of the songs but most of them have an exclamation mark to the left of them in a small grey circle. The only ones that don't have this are the ones that my Dad downloaded from iTunes a week or so ago. Double clicking on the song with the grey circle shows an error message stating that the file cannot be found, would you like to locate it?

I have scoured the whole of the hard drive (recycle bin included, which has not been emptied since the problem began) and cannot find the files anywhere.

Now although all the songs that are missing are on CD's somewhere and he can copy them to the computer again, it just puzzles me how iTunes can delete the files without notification. The songs are not even on the iPod so, he can't replace them from there.

Any suggestions and help appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    iTunes doesn't delete files without asking first. The reason it is showing the exclamation mark is because the files were deleted without iTunes's knowlege. Your dad must have accidently deleted the folder containing all those songs.