itunes helper

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by archdelux, Feb 21, 2012.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

I'm trying to eliminate unneeded login items and I was wondering--now that Ipad and iPhones sync wirelessly, is there any utility to the ItunesHelper app? Or if I disable it, will I not be able to detect the iphone and ipad via wifi?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunesHelper "Listens" for commands to help iTunes communicate with devices (such as iPod, iPhone, etc). It probably won't hurt to leave it, as it shouldn't use much system resources. By the way, there's more than one place to look for items that automatically launch at startup. This may help:

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. kulimer macrumors 6502

I definitely know what you are talking about, itunes helper likes to make itself actively present when it really doesn't do much. I've noticed it in both Mac and PC.

4. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. But given that everything syncs wirelessly, if there is absolutely no utility to the function, then it doesn't make sense to keep it. So I am wondering--is there any utility to iTunesHelper given that all of my devices sync wirelessly?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not that I'm aware of. It's fine to keep or remove it, whichever you prefer. Anything you remove can always be added back later, if you need it.