iTunes Home Sharing (And Importing)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Recuerdo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Recuerdo macrumors newbie

I've finally got hold of a 27" iMac that works, so now comes the process of transferring over all my media.

I want to use my iMac as a media hub of sorts, and so have been transferring all of my music from my MacBook using the import feature on iTunes 9's Home Sharing. I just want to know if Apple places any restrictions on the files so, for instance, if I de-authorise my Macbook and/or delete the media files from it, will the music still be accessible as normal from the iMac (since it's been coped over and is stored locally), or will it create some kind of link to the original files and shout at me if they disappear?

Or would I be safer using a traditional method of transferring the data?

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I don't think they are tied to the computer they were purchases on. But i could be wrong.

My understanding is they give you 5 computers that are authorized to use the music. If you take one away, and put it on another then the new one is the 5th. If you see what i'm saying.

I would transfer all the music to it, back it up of course to DVDs, or external hard drive, and then delete all the media from the laptop and de-authorize it.

I would copy the files over via firewire, or thru a external hard drive (there is your backup step). I'm not sure of the full workings on the home sharing.

Or you could use your 90 day phone tech support and talk with somebody at apple. They would be the best source of information i this subject.

Remember, backup backup backup!!

3. Recuerdo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm backed-up to the eyeballs, fortunately, so it's there just in case. But it's just a lot of work to do again if it goes tits-up.

Might just Firewire it to begin with to save the worry. Thanks anyway =)

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Restart the laptop in target disk mode, holding down T on restart, and then just drag and drop the files onto your new computer.