iTunes Home Sharing Issue - Needs to be reset

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davids8477, Apr 3, 2012.

1. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Hello:

I have been using iTunes Home Sharing since it was available - streaming to AppleTV, laptops etc.

For the last could of months I have had a problem connecting to the shared library if it has not been used for a day or so.

The local iTunes jet sits there "loading".

To fix this I have to turn OFF then ON home sharing on the remote computer and then the local machine loads it almost immediately.

This is very annoying and I would appreciate any insights.

I am using the latest OS Lion and the latest iTunes.

Thanks

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Quite a few people seem to be having this problem, but the majority of people are not. I have the latest Lion and iTunes and ATV2/ATV3 and my home sharing connection has never dropped for either device. I am using an AEBS.

I suggest you do a internet search for "Apple TV loses connection to iTunes" and view the discussions in the Apple support communities to see if you can find a solution there that might work for you.

BTW, some people report that recycling their router clears the problem for them.

3. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried the router route - no change.

I did find that I do not have to turn off Home Sharing, but by restarting iTunes on the remote I have the same effect of "kick starting" home sharing.

Any one else have suggestions?

4. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You might want to post what computers and OS's you are using.

6. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point.

Remote is a Mac Mini, locals are iMac, MBP, or Apple TVs 2.

OS is Lion - all updated, and iTunes is latest.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It is a large library?

This happens with the Apple TV too?

8. dknightd macrumors 6502

Do you allow the "server" computer to go to sleep?
    I've noticed off and on problems with sharing if the sharing computer goes to sleep - sometimes the client does not recognize the server is available even after it has woken.

9. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not large - about 800 audio tracks and 200 movies

Yes also on the ATV
    ----------

Never goes to sleep - its a server for my web site also. The library is seen by the remote computer, but it does not load.

10. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Without any working fix I have worked around the problem but writing a simple Automator workflow that shutdown iTunes and restarts is once per day.

Seems to have provided a temporary fix until a real one comes up.

11. grivera macrumors newbie

iTunes Home Sharing Issue - Needs to be reset

Same problem here.

I have a 2011 iMac sharing our iTunes library to all our Apple TVs, iPads, and iPhones. I always keep my MacOSX Lion and iTunes software up-to-date. But unfortunately it seems that after a recent iTunes/MacOSX software update (not sure which) a new problem/bug was introduced.

After an idle period of several hours, the iTunes library will no longer service sharing requests from our other idevices. When trying to connect all we see is the spinning busy circle on all devices. I have to then manually restart iTunes on our iMac in order to restore normal sharing functionality, and then everything works great without any problems; no sudden disconnects, etc. But after several hours go by without any iMac or sharing activity, the same problem appears again.

Very frustrating.

FYI. Our iMac is configured to never sleep. No screensaver either. Only the display is configured to sleep after 15 minutes. Never had this problem until very recently.

*** I can't imagine any external firewall, network, router, or other factors that would contribute to a problem that resolves itself by simply restarting iTunes. Seems like a new bug in recent updates of MacOSX or iTunes.

Thoughts?

12. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. Using Mac Mini as an iTunes media server to iMac, ATV3 and MB Air - AEBS as the router. It makes no difference if the connection is via wiFi or Hardwired. It's definitely a bug in iTunes and doesn't appear to have been fixed with the latest update either :(

13. theelysium macrumors 6502a

theelysium

Same here!

My Home sharing services worked flawlessly until I install Lion last week! SL no problem... I have 10.7, iTunes all updated, Apple TV 1080p, iPad2, iPhone 4s, 4 macs all 4yr or newer & Airport extreme home network and again all firmware & OSs are updated.

I don't think computer sleeping is a problem or rather that it wasn't with SL. Home sharing would wake the computer. Putting hard disk to sleep is off though.

I notice after a period of time that My devices will try to connect to home sharing and the gear will spin saying Loading library, nothing will load. However, if I go to my media computer and try to quit iTunes it says that I have devices connected, even though it's not; it's hanging. So, I think the devices are connecting it's just not showing the conetnent. Quitting iTunes and then restarting it forces something to reset.

Just another reason why Lion sucks monkey balls! If I was in the jungle I'd fling turds at this Lion!