Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XFactorer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Eugene
Is it possible to remotely wake up my rMBP to do home sharing on my iPad? I like to stream video podcasts to my iPad in the kitchen while I cook and I'm curious if I have to walk to my rMBP and open it every time I want to stream something from it. I know in Mountain Lion there will be the "Power Nap" feature which does Time Machine backups in the background while the lid is closed... wondering if there's a similar feature now for Home Sharing. Thanks in advance!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Don't know if the Retina model is different but under your Energy Settings there is an option for Wake for network access. Enable that and the system should wake up if an application requests something.

XFactorer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Eugene
Don't know if the Retina model is different but under your Energy Settings there is an option for Wake for network access. Enable that and the system should wake up if an application requests something.

That's currently on - but, do I need to turn on some other Sharing features under the System Preferences?

I don't think my iPad can pick up my rMBP's library while it's asleep...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
There is an utility that prevents MacBooks from sleeping when the lid is closed -- I forget what it is called, but Google something like "prevent Macbook from sleeping when lid closed" and you'll find it. If your MacBook is plugged in, maybe that is a good option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.